98 GP800 Surges at WOT

Any tips on where to start or just "clean/rebuild the carbs"? Carbs were supposedly rebuilt just prior to my purchase of the ski, but I have no verification of that. Runs well other than at wide open...and even then it never gets worse...it just surges back and forth from what I assume to be full RPM and then drops off to what feels like a few hundred fewer RPM, then back to full, then off a few hundred, etc.

+1
    Go thru the carbs they make or break these engines,check the fuel filter,fuel selector valve also check the spark wires make sure you have a good connection and that one isnt loosing connection intermitantly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltH2OHokie View Post
    Any tips on where to start or just "clean/rebuild the carbs"? Carbs were supposedly rebuilt just prior to my purchase of the ski, but I have no verification of that. Runs well other than at wide open...and even then it never gets worse...it just surges back and forth from what I assume to be full RPM and then drops off to what feels like a few hundred fewer RPM, then back to full, then off a few hundred, etc.
    It is your carbs..you need to get them rebuilt, they are varying starvation/full of fuel and causing the "surge". You can probably find someone on this board to rebuild them for..I am thinking WFO performance, but you'll have to call him and see.

Thread Information