Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Coolant Help/leak

Hello guys. today was the second time that during afew spins the ski starts beeping ( 155Wake) and after taking the seat off, there is no coolant left in the reservoir. it *leaks* out of the big hose from the bottom. and by leak I mean the whole hose flies off the bottle. I have re-filled and purged the system last time and it happened today again. the coolant stays inside the hull.Any helps at what to look for? I had to tow the ski for an hour and a half today (only about 2.5mile tow at 2-3mph)my guess is the cap ontop is not releasing the pressure and the build up is making the hose pop off. I have replaced the factory clamp with one of mine and tightened it well so I highly doubt that is the problem. Other problem: it is hard to start after there is this coolant leak and for some reason the battery died shortly after (wouldnt even crank. only click. However it re-started after. any ideas on what it might be? all the clamps are tight. thanks in advance

+1
    Check the plastic fitting on bottom of the tank. They do not do well with a overly tight standard hose clamp as it will partially collapse the fitting and allow all of the coolant to leak out.

The actual coolant bottles can go bad.. the hose barb on the bottom goes to crap sometimes.
    Just get another bottle. Put on a new hoseclamp (correct tightness) and you should be fine

+1
    if checked the fittings and this time ill make sure to not overtighten the bottle.

but it isnt a *leak* the hole hose flies/slides off the bottle.

another question. is the hose in the second pic supposed to be disconnected? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130701_131139.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	305433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130701_131151.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	305434

+1
    Yes, that's the overflow dump hose, that's supposed to be connected.

Back off that clamp, pull the hose off and see if the barb is crushed. I did that once to a bottle when I over-tightened the clamp.

I have a couple bottles in good shape if interested. let me know.

+1
    where is it suppose to be connected? I dont see any other disconnected hoses or fittings that would go through the hull?

I checked the barb fitting and its fine, atleast the same as my other two skis.

anything else I should look for? seeing how the hose gets disconnected Im thinking its a pressure build up?

I can post more pictures if needed. and if anyone is wondering, yes that is a "homemade" fiberglassed hull. (as oposed to stock, which is the newer plastic hulls)

+1
    That is your overflow tube it connects to nothing and only pukes when the system exceeds a certain pressure usually due to overheat.

+1
    thanks for the help guys.

is it possible that the cap is not opening at a the certain pressure and the whole system finds the weakest link (in this case the hose) to release the pressure?

Anything that might be the main cause of extra pressure?

I wish the wake had a thermostat like the rxpx does so I could know when the pump is opening up...

+1
    Under normal operation the cap should never release pressure. The wake uses the same closed loop cooling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Under normal operation the cap should never release pressure. The wake uses the same closed loop cooling
    sorry I wasnt clear enough. I meant to say the thermo-reading in the cluster so that I could know the engine temperature and know that the thermo oppened at 180º Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130701_142632.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	305436

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information