'95 Seadoo SPX dies at WOT

I have a '95 Seadoo SPX that I replaced the OEM MPEM with an aftermarket MPEM due to frying it when I boosted it. Now it dies when I accelerate to WOT. I have to unplug and replug the stator connector just to get it to do anything. Weird huh? I'm assuming that the aftermarket MPEM is faulty in the rev limiter circuit and I can't get any tech support from the dealer I bought it from. Is there a possibility that the stator got fried when boosting it? I may just send the MPEM back and get a used OEM MPEM. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, anyone have any MPEMs they wanna get rid of?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like it could be a grounding issue. Mine did the same thing after going though the whole ski. Recheck all your connections before ordering another mpem. I hope you aren't giving an arm and a leg for them. Used works just fine too.

What ground did you find in your ski? I should add that if I accelerate quickly it'll die the same way too. But it's always when I approach WOT. I'll take a look at her this weekend for ground issues.

+1
    The battery ground cable was corroded and when it was drawing full power at WOT it would die. By looking at it you couldn't tell but when I cut the end off it was green for almost 1" from both ends. On another note...when was the last time you rebuilt the fuel system? That could be a cause too

I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the fuel valve and lines this year. But still, the unplugging and replugging of the stator wires indicate an electrical issue. I think I'll just trace everything this weekend when I make it up to where I store my ski and rerun it one more time before I send the aftermarket MPEM out. I really think I got a faulty one.

Which leads me to this question: What all can get damaged in a ski besides an MPEM by boosting it off a truck? I did have the engine off but there was a small possibility that I had poles reversed. Was two years ago so I don't really remember.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by takk View Post
    I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the fuel valve and lines this year. But still, the unplugging and replugging of the stator wires indicate an electrical issue. I think I'll just trace everything this weekend when I make it up to where I store my ski and rerun it one more time before I send the aftermarket MPEM out. I really think I got a faulty one.

Which leads me to this question: What all can get damaged in a ski besides an MPEM by boosting it off a truck? I did have the engine off but there was a small possibility that I had poles reversed. Was two years ago so I don't really remember.
    the CDI but that's about it

+1
    If you have already checked everything out and you have no fire after it dies but then it reappears after unplugging the stator I would guess a bad stator ground or faulty MPEM.

Have an OEM MPEM on order. $120 shipped. I shouldn't have any issues then. I mean MPEMs are usually all that goes when ya boost a battery. I shoulda known better and put the battery on a charger and not be so hasty. If I STILL have issues, I'll let ya guys know. Then I can move on to the issue I MAY still have since I rebuilt her from bottom to top: overheating. But since I fried the MPEM, I haven't had the chance to properly test her.

Yep. It was the aftermarket MPEM. When I installed an OEM MPEM, it ran like it's supposed to. Further proof that aftermarket MPEMs are shady. But now I have an odd issue. When being ran on the hose, I now see gray water coming from exhaust. Carbon build-up maybe since its sat for a while? Also has an occasional shimmy at idle. Any thoughts? I've pretty much rebuilt this thing from bottom to top. Only concerns is the used crank, engine alignment possibly needed and carb tuning.

Must have been carbon build-up because she ran clear after a bit. Took her to the lake and getting a lean hesitation. Gonna take her back out this weekend to tune the carbs and I hope at this point she runs like a gem!

Thread Information