Seadoo 787 New top end, BURNING THROUGH OIL !

Just rebuilt my 97 Seadoo Xp 787, brand new top end, i.e. pistons,rings,gaskets. Oil injection removed,block off kit installed.
    Took it out to the lake today for first time since rebuild, started the break-in process, everything seemed okay, was running well.
    Then the low oil light came on, I thought that does not make sense, its only lubing the rotary valve area. Took to shore filled up the resovoir, let it sit and coold off for 30 minutes. Went back to ride it, running great, about 45 minutes later the light comes on again. WTF!!!! Anyone had this issue, crank seals??

Quote Originally Posted by topfli8979 View Post
    Just rebuilt my 97 Seadoo Xp 787, brand new top end, i.e. pistons,rings,gaskets. Oil injection removed,block off kit installed.
    Took it out to the lake today for first time since rebuild, started the break-in process, everything seemed okay, was running well.
    Then the low oil light came on, I thought that does not make sense, its only lubing the rotary valve area. Took to shore filled up the resovoir, let it sit and coold off for 30 minutes. Went back to ride it, running great, about 45 minutes later the light comes on again. WTF!!!! Anyone had this issue, crank seals??

Also wanted to add, the cylinders are not shooting any oil out of spark hole, with plugs removed.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Your crank seals for the rotary valve shaft are shot. That's really all it can be.... unless the oils in your hull.

Ok. So I guess I need to find a new crank then.

Was looking over the ski before I pull the motor, noticed that the oil line with inline filter comeing from bottom of oil resevoir is connected to the check valve on top of oil reseivoir. Is this the proper way to route the line?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Was looking over the ski before I pull the motor, noticed that the oil line with inline filter comeing from bottom of oil resevoir is connected to the check valve on top of oil reseivoir. Is this the proper way to route the line?
    That doesn't sound right. That line with the filter needs to be connected to the exhaust side of the rank case. The return from the carb side of the crank case need to return to the connection below the check valve. There should be no line connected to the check valve directly

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    That doesn't sound right. That line with the filter needs to be connected to the exhaust side of the rank case. The return from the carb side of the crank case need to return to the connection below the check valve. There should be no line connected to the check valve directly
    I have the block off kit installed, would this be a issue with the ski burning through the oil resevoir tank?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    No, it sounds like the crank seals are shot and possibly a bearing eating oil if your not getting it on the plugs or out the plug holes.

Thread Information