2008 rxp-x 255 intermittent power and poor starting when cold

Hello all, I just purchased my 2008 rxp-x 255 with 81 hours on it and its not running right. To give you a history, I bought it from a guy who just threw the battery in it when I was there to go take it for a test drive, so the battery probably could use a proper charge. Also, I had a hole in the hose which connects the supercharger to the intercooler and it was blowing off so I replaced it, which had a dramatic improvement on power. However, when I start the sea-doo up cold, it takes a very long time to warm up. I let it sit for 5-7 minutes idling before I throttle it up. It starts and idles from cold no problem. When I throttle it up its very sluggish even if I hold it to the bar (say approx. 5-6000 rpm for 5-10 seconds). However, eventually it starts to get the rpm up and you can feel the "power-band" kick in. Almost as if someone decided to turn the supercharger on after a little bit. Then it kind of runs hit and miss for a while, as the engine is warming up completely. Once the engine is hot, the sluggishness is nearly completely gone and it runs good. Except it starts to run kind of rough at low rpm will even stall sometimes. Then if it stalls or if I turn it off, it takes forever to start. You have to continually turn it over as if the engine were flooded. Eventually after a minute or so it starts back up, reluctantly. The battery could use a charge but I doubt its related. I'm thinking fuel pump or supercharger related. I mostly suspect supercharger because I read online and most problems appear to surround the supercharger. Otherwise I suspect fuel system. Does anyone have any ideas? If it is the fuel system, how to I diagnose it, and how do I set it up properly? Any other ideas or comments appreciated? I really am no mechanic so I could be way, way off on my diagnosis.

+1
    Pull the spark plugs and take a look at them. If they are fouled replace them with the irridium ones. They should be clean and whitish in color. If you take it to a dealer or can get your hands on the BUDS it should point you to the issue. I would also suggest having the supercharger rebuilt.

Use this to remove the SC: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

Send it to Green Hulk using this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...harger+rebuild

purchase the rebuild kit on this website.

It's really easy to do, even I can do it.

Cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smithersd View Post
    Hello all, I just purchased my 2008 rxp-x 255 with 81 hours on it and its not running right. To give you a history, I bought it from a guy who just threw the battery in it when I was there to go take it for a test drive, so the battery probably could use a proper charge. Also, I had a hole in the hose which connects the supercharger to the intercooler and it was blowing off so I replaced it, which had a dramatic improvement on power. However, when I start the sea-doo up cold, it takes a very long time to warm up. I let it sit for 5-7 minutes idling before I throttle it up. It starts and idles from cold no problem. When I throttle it up its very sluggish even if I hold it to the bar (say approx. 5-6000 rpm for 5-10 seconds). However, eventually it starts to get the rpm up and you can feel the "power-band" kick in. Almost as if someone decided to turn the supercharger on after a little bit. Then it kind of runs hit and miss for a while, as the engine is warming up completely. Once the engine is hot, the sluggishness is nearly completely gone and it runs good. Except it starts to run kind of rough at low rpm will even stall sometimes. Then if it stalls or if I turn it off, it takes forever to start. You have to continually turn it over as if the engine were flooded. Eventually after a minute or so it starts back up, reluctantly. The battery could use a charge but I doubt its related. I'm thinking fuel pump or supercharger related. I mostly suspect supercharger because I read online and most problems appear to surround the supercharger. Otherwise I suspect fuel system. Does anyone have any ideas? If it is the fuel system, how to I diagnose it, and how do I set it up properly? Any other ideas or comments appreciated? I really am no mechanic so I could be way, way off on my diagnosis.
    Could be a few problems.
    Fuel problems if the ski sat for any length of time. Buy a box of spark plugs. Fresh fuel, injector cleaner, new plugs. Maybe need to change plugs a couple times. May need to replace injectors or have them cleaned if real bad fuel was ran thru them.

Possible bad I/C. Internal leak in I/C can do the stuff you are saying.

The SCer is about ready for a rebuild, besides the slip should be checked anyway. I am sure its too low at 81 hours. The early 08 metal washers broke if the slip got too low and overheated washers than they would break up. That another mess in its self.

+1
    Change the spark plugs before you do anything else.

Thread Information