08 STX-15 won't restart after running fine

Well this has been happing before 3-5 times but after a while it always starts. The ski will start and run fine for an hr. or 2. We will shut it off and go to continue and the ski will turn over but act like it's not getting gas. I've opened the gas door to relieve any pressure..It has always started after4-8 trys,but this last time I had to be towed . I put new plugs in the old ones looked fine and it did the same thing next time out. Ran fine and almost didn't start but finally did. It would not start back at the ramp. SkiIAll has 60 hrs., and is bone stock. All ideas and help will be rewarded in the next life. Motor turns over fine but will not start.

+1
    It's the water temp sensor in the exhaust manifold. It has happened to a bunch of us. When the sensor cools down enough it will then let it crank back up. Some have let them set with the seat off, some pour water on it trying to cool it down, some have even taken it out and poured water on it and put it back in or just left it dangling.

The other solution is to buy another one to keep as a spare, that's what I did. Part #21176-3758 SENSOR,WATER TEMP. When the one installed messes up, plug the spare into the harness and it will fire up. Or you can have them on switches where you can turn the one installed off and turn on your spare to get it to crank.
    The down side of having the spare temp switch is that they cost 77 bucks plus shipping.

The "theory" some have is that the water in the exhaust steams and keeps the temp sensor from cooling down. It was recommended to blip the throttle a couple of times to blow the excess water out before shutting it off.

Do a search for 15F water temp sensor and you can read a lot. meangreenman gave a part number for the new improved version of the temp sensor in one of his posts but you will need to change out "both" temp sensors when using that part number. There is another temp sensor that screws into the oil pan.

+1
    I'll look for the part number for the newer sensor that meangreenman gave out. I think that one you can change it out as it doesn't have the same problems as the older sensors. I'll be back to post that number if I can find it.

Read post #10 http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...37#post2020137

Thanks TexasZ, this place is the best. If I had taken to dealer, they would have said put it back there and call us in 3-4 weeks. It's odd that this time it would not start on the trailer at the ramp or at home. but now it starts right up.

Thread Information