1996 SLTX rebuild question

Ok, so I bought a 1996 SLTX off craigslist and the second time I took it out I burnt up the PTO cylinder. Since I was replacing the PTO cylinder, I figured I would just rebuild the entire top end. Glad I did. The MAG cylinder looked like a piece of metal bounced around inside and chewed up the piston and head. Anyway, I stripped the whole thing down to the crankshaft and am starting to put everything back together. Here comes the question part.... 1) In putting on the new gaskets is there any silicone anyone would suggest to seat the gaskets? 2) I also blocked off the oil injectors and bought rebuild kits for the carbs, so after it's all back together I don't want to try to fire this thing up bare bones, do I? Should add some 2 stroke to the crankshaft case, lightly oil the pistons, etc?

I know now this was a job left to the professionals (HA HA) but I'm in it now so just looking for a little guidance. Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    I just used some of the Polaris OEM case sealant. Its Threebond 1215. Polaris part number 2871557. I used it on the case halves, and base gaskets, flywheel housing to case, and the reed cages. Great stuff. You can get it from a Polaris dealer. Its about 27 bucks for a tube of it, but its good stuff.

Are you converting to premix? If so, why? The Mikuni oil injection system is nearly bullet proof and a hell of a lot more convenient.

When I rebuild an engine I pour the same oil that I use in the oil injection and fill up the crankcase about half full once I got the crank and the cases all torqued together. Then through out the rest of assembly of the engine the crank is rotated and soaked so the crank is plenty lubricated. I also use the injection oil to coat the pistons, rings and the cylinder and use it liberally. I also soak the wrist pin bearings and wrist pins with the oil as well before installation. Once the engine is completely assembled, I pull the drain plugs on the crank case and completely drain it. Let it sit overnight. It will smoke quite a bit at first fire up, but everything will be well lubed.

Banned User
    +1
    I use oil in a squeeze bottle. I lay the crank in the case and oil the lower rod bearings. Then after assembling the case, I squirt some down the oil holes to get to the bearings. I liberally oil the rings in the grooves and coat the piston skirts. There ends up being plenty of oil in the engine.

+1
    Did you check over the crankshaft, that what looks like a piece of metal bounced around the cylinder is a sign of a crank bearing or rod bearing going bad. Inspect it carefully, putting it all back together & having this happen again is not pleasant.

Thread Information