Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation '12 300X Drive Shaft Broken

Hey guys,
    So I have a 2012 Kawi 300X with about 16 hours on it, completely stock. Bought new in July 2012, used up until Labor Day last season, and I've only had it out twice this season. Yesterday I had a passenger on the back and the ski was fine for most of the day. I went to open it up and it would only hit about 45-46 mph at full throttle. I backed off and turned the ski off, but when I tried to start it again I heard a chunking noise. After I was towed back and was able to get under it on the trailer, I didn't see anything in the intake grate or impeller, nothing around the shaft. I brought it in to the dealer and they said the drive shaft snapped completely in half. No one had any theories on how/why. Looks like I'm down a ski for the next couple of weeks. Luckily it's a warranty issue and Kawasaki is picking up the tab ($2,000+ otherwise). Has anyone heard of the drive shaft failing in a similar way? Any ideas on a cause?
    Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    The actual drive shaft broke ? Or pump shaft ? There were some bad pump shafts out there. I'd find it hard to belive the actual driveshaft broke though get some pics. If it was the pump shaft there is a chance it did damage to the motor over and above needing a new pump however swapping out the pump is a quick job if that's all that's needed.

+1
    wow interesting thread where exactly did it break? you wouldn't think there would be enough load to snap a driveshaft. one could only think something had jammed the prop? was it twisted or clean break?

I didn't see anything of note in/around the shaft through the intake grate. The only thing I saw that concerned me were some scrapes around the impeller housing. Dealer said "drive shaft snapped", I'll see if I can get some more info this week. They did say they'll have to pull the motor.

Banned User
    +1
    Interesting let us know the out come.

+1
    WOW!!! That is interesting, In my 20+ years of being around the sport ive never seen or heard of a driveshaft snapping in half.although with the torque these things have a weak spot in the drive line could fail!

+1
    Even the crazy high HP race skis use the stock shaft. We abuse the heck out of the driveline and never have I heard of this happening. Great to hear Kawasaki has already agreed to the repair.

Pardon my noob-ism, but what's the difference between the drive shaft and pump shaft? Doesn't the motor send power to the drive/prop shaft? Where/what is the pump shaft?

+1
    driveshaft connects to your coupler on the motor then extends out the hull to the pump (the shaft you see looking up through the intake grate) it then connects via the prop through a spline to the pump shaft this is used as a bearing carrier to keep everything square and inline. so you have two shafts. im guessing the one you have broke is the driveshaft as the other is much cheaper.

I emailed Kawi's warranty/customer support dept. as well. Their best guess is that a jet pump bearing failure casued the drive shaft to break. They said it's not a known issue with the 300X.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information