Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Need help in Spokane, WA July 13-14

Hey guys, I am in need of a little assistance for a good cause. I have been doing PWC rescue/support for St. Lukes Rehab here in Spokaloo for the past 12 years. St. Lukes does a weekend in July on Clear Lake called Skifest. It is a chance for disabled folks to get out and waterski and enjoy a day in the sun. This year it is Sat/Sun - July 13/14

I think the oldest skier we have come out is in his 60s and is missing a leg. The youngest is 3 or 4 with developmental/physical disabilities. I started doing this when a friend of mine fell out of a tree and broke his back, he has been in a wheelchair since. Most of you might not know Lance, but if any of you raced with Northwest Water Competition back in the day, he was one of the kids that helped set up the course, and was usually in charge of the starting band when we used one. His father is Del, whom you might also remember from NWC.

Anyways, out of all the things that i have done that are PWC related in the past 2 decades, Ski fest is the one i never miss. Seeing the smile on the faces of these kids when they finally get out of the water and on plane is something you will never forget. I have put more than one of these crazy guys into the tray of my SJ and let them blast around the lake. Giving rides to the kids is always a hoot!

PWC are used to transport "jumpers" along side the skier. When someone goes down, your jumper hits the water to make sure that the skier is OK. They help them get back in the chair and started off again. We like to run 2 skis per boat, and there is an advanced boat and a beginners boat, so ideally we need 4 skis, preferrably 3 seaters and skilled riders..

The lead rider is gereally15 - 30 feet from the skier depending on their skill level and speed. The backup ski follows at a comfortable distance. When a skier goes down, the lead rider gets his jumper as close to the skier as possible and in the water to make sure they are OK. Your jumper then gets the skier back up and started. The backup ski sits and waits. When the skier is off again, the backup ski is the lead ski, your jumper gets back on your ski, and you are the backup ski for awhile. It's pretty fun to ride the wake when you are backup ski. It's the only time I don't get hassled for following too close LOL.

I have 2 skis and and 2 riders (Del and I) It would be really nice if we could find 2 more skis and at least 2 more riders. It's a day in the saddle from 9 to 4 on Saturday, and 9 to 3-4 on Sunday. So bring your sunscreen. St Lukes provides coffe and doughnuts in the morning and lunch as well, there are always snacks and such and you get a free T-shirt as well. The best thing you get is the smile from the participants when they are done going around the lake.

Sooo........ Any folks out there that would like to volunteer?? I know that this is short notice, but we are a couple riders short this year due to extenuating circumstances. I can guarantee you will never forget this event. If you can volunteer for just one of the days during the weekend, that would be great, the more riders we have available for each day, the easier it is.

If you can help, PM me or email at [email protected]

Thanks Guys.

Da Wolf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moving_forward.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	305478

+1
    August 13/14?

+1
    july

+1
    Really would like to do this but there is no way I can make it in July (I'm headed to banks tomorrow for a week already)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Really would like to do this but there is no way I can make it in July (I'm headed to banks tomorrow for a week already)
    Banks is awesome, I'll be on Lake Roosevelt by 2 Rivers for the 4th. Thanks for the thoughts, I'm sure I can round up some folks, let try to keep this thread up top.

Thanks r33pwrd, enjoy Banks, staying at Steamboat??

+1
    Yes steamboat

+1
    Banks Lake has so much shoreline, and 27 miles worth of water! We used to put on jetski and hydro races at Sunbanks Resort on the east end of the lake. I'm pretty sure I can roun up enough boats and folks here locally. C'mon Spokane, step up to the plate. It's a good time for a good cause.

Da Wolf

+1
    Hey Bruce - You need to get the word out sooner. If you can get the dates for next year's event, I can put it on my recreational calendar. Going to have even more events next year. There is a group gathering at Steamboat the weekend of Sept 20-22. Come on out. Sorry, I can't make it, I got motorcycle racing to attend. Good luck and have fun.

The Cap'n
    Last edited by NWDayton; 07-06-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: typo

+1
    Dayton, I would have gotten the word out sooner, but all of my regulars started bailing at the last minute, so I am doing what I can.

+1
    I hear ya, man. Just let us know what the dates are next year. Is it possible to have too much help out there?

The Cap'n

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information