Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How bad did I just screw myself

Hey guys - new to the forum

Just bought 2, 2011 Ultra 300X's from th Kawasaki dealer here in MT - they had them brand new and never moved them, so they gave me a good deal and I took them off of there hands. I have had them out already 3 times and about 3 hours on them - still breaking them in.

I have read this forum and the owners manual and I thought it would be a good idea to check the spark plugs and put some Anti Seize Compound on them - well when I was tightening them to about 8,lbs - I herd the torque wrench make the cracking sound - however I did not notice until the second spark plus it was not the wrench it was the spark plug. The torque wrench I had (just bought it) I thought was set to 8 lbs - however after looking at it later I saw the torque started at 20+ = so I had the wrench set at 28 lbs -

Now the spark plugs just seem to spin around - I can tighten them or I can take them out - they just keep spinning. What am I going to do now?
    How bad did I just screw up?

Any help would be great - I am very sad

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you striped the threads in the holes.....new head in your future, I dont think I would trust a helicoil in there........

Banned User
    +1
    had to heli-coil my seadoo head before and it lasted.... unless you can do the work yourself, unfortunately its gonna cost ya but it's not the end of the world!

+1
    you can get specialized helicoils for sparkplugs they aren't your normal type, just one of the reasons I never use a torque wrench on spark plugs. best to go by feel this way you cant fu ck it up. try using an easy out or a screw driver to lock into what is left of the spark plug and ease it out. failing this the head will have to come off.

Thanks guys -

I am so bummed out - I can't believe I did something like that. I just wanted take good care of my new toys and I screwed up big time - It didn't even fell like it was getting hard to tighten or hard to turn - I just felt and herd a crack kinda of sound and thought it was the torque wrench doing its thing - I am so pissed. I wanted jet skis for a few years - now I finally have them and I mess one up in a week of owing them-

What is a helicoil?

+1
    a new threaded insert do a google search, you need to get the plug out first as it may not be needed shoot us a pic of whats down the hole did it twist the plug off or is it still there?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    No offense but if you have to ask, best thing is to take it to the dealer.....threads are stripped and would be best to remove the head as there maybe pieces fall in to the bore and I still wouldnt trust a helicoil, 17 lbs a boost is a lot........

+1
    aquaholic best not give false advise on the helicoil they are used in that application all the time by all engine builders I for one use them and I can assure you they do what they are designed for.

a very quick search on ebay finds this http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_n...+thread+repair

+1
    I have heard good things about these inserts, but you will need at least semi-pro installation.

http://www.timesert.com/

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, it will hold 17 PSI easy.

I'd say take it back to your dealer. You want him to have a look at it for you. The last thing you want to do is break something else or worse, lose your warranty.

You'll be back on the water having fun soon. At least you have a spare 300x to ride while the other is getting fixed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information