STXR/Ultra 150 Carb Throttle position sensor carb link needed

The shop seems to have misplaced the part that links the front carb to the shaft of the throttle position sensor.

Does anyone have a coffee can of carb parts with one of these in the bottom?

And what does this sensor really do? Advance timing? A friend seemed to think that it might not be necessary.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder1 View Post
    The shop seems to have misplaced the part that links the front carb to the shaft of the throttle position sensor.

Does anyone have a coffee can of carb parts with one of these in the bottom?

And what does this sensor really do? Advance timing? A friend seemed to think that it might not be necessary.....
    It advances the timing based on rpm and throttle position. Now a lot of aftermarket carbs don't use it so they set it aside at the WOT position and leave it. It has to be connected. If your stock, it would be good to have it, but if all else fails, set it to the wot position and wire tie it out of the way.

+1
    It does not have to be connected if using after market carbs only ....If I remember you can have it disconnected all the time....the average person will never notice.

Had the heads milled by Group K, dried the pipe out some and have a Skat Trak impeller. Stock other than that. Am I the average rider, I don't know....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder1 View Post
    Had the heads milled by Group K, dried the pipe out some and have a Skat Trak impeller. Stock other than that. Am I the average rider, I don't know....
    "Heads milled"...what compression numbers are you running now?

"dried the pipe out some"...how was that accomplished?

"Skat Trak impeller"...which one, the 14/24 swirl or the 14/24R? RPM's now?

Enquiring minds need to know these things.

"Stock other than that. Am I the average rider, I don't know...." Hard to know, I rarely see the STX-R mentioned much these days.
    I have a 2003 that I'm in the process of restoring.

For some detailed way beyond excellent reading about the STX-R...look at the post just above ya by jonny5 and click on his STX-R links in his signature.

I might have one, have 2 sets of junk carbs. Pm if interested I have to check those carbs make sure there still there

I can't say that I know the exact compression as Harry at Group K has always been rather illusive with that info but I went along with their recommendation as they never let me or my buds down in the past and I'm going back a number of years.

The pipe was dried out when I bought it. I forget what 'kit' they called it but it looked like one of the water passages was closed when I looked at it.

I have the R impeller. Don't know if that was a good decision yet.

Don't have rpms just yet either. Should be on the water in two weeks as I've been working a lot.

On a stock ignition system, all the TPS does is advance the timing when it detects a rapid throttle increase at low RPMs. The increase is marginal and very short duration to decrease the chances of piston pitting. Not a big deal to leave it tied WOT, however if performance is what you are after, having it setup and working is the way to go.

+1
    I tested that tps for a long time while having my stxr ...and here is my take....if your running after market carbs.....

It doesnt do anything hooked up or not.
    I tried with cold temps in the morning with it wide open.....full closed and again with hot temps and every other which way.
    Open, closed ...connected and disconnected even made a linkage with after market carbs

If you read my project thread you will see all of it posted there.

I eventually thru it in my parts box and stopped looking at it...lol
    I also have some videos posted as well and it is disconnected there as well.

But do what you feel is right its your ski.

And I believe Harry runs them at 135psi for his cut head.

Add a 15F nozzle and that will provide more throttle response then his cut heads... and roughly a extra 50 rpms..

Thread Information