Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Gp1200R Millenium

Hello,

I have posted a few silly questions here and there, and never really said a formal hello to
    this great community, so I guess i'll start here.

Hi

I am looking at a 2000 GP1200R as my first ski. I have driven many skis before, but heard good things about Yamaha.
    I am mechanically inclined-ish, as in I could probably do a top end rebuild with a few pointers, etc.
    The ski, in fact, needs the top end put back on. The guy has the SBT top end rebuild kit with pistons.
    He bought it as a project, but never got to it. His friend he bought it from did not say why the top end needed rebuilding. (I don't suspect anything suspicious, though)

So, what I'm asking here is, is there anything to look out for in the buying process? People talk about piston wash..? I don't know what that is.

Secondly, Is there anything tricky in the rebuild? Anything to keep an eye out for? Or do this before that?

Lastly, I would like to throw a premix conversion kit on it, so I can sleep better at night. I've heard horror stories.

I appreciate any and all help. And I have used the search feature, But it has not helped much, or i'm looking in the wrong places.

+1
    Since it's not together you can't check the compression. Look at the valves for damage. Check the impeller for gouges. Check the bottom of the ski for damage. Stick a battery in and check the gauges. Turn the crank by the rods a little and feel for excess play or grinding

Piston wash is the markings on the piston surface after combustion in the cylinder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistonwash.gif 
Views:	140 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	305850

If it's been sitting, you might as well rebuild the carbs. Buy some powervalves, temp sensor and a D-plate; all of which can be found in the greenhulk store.

Quote Originally Posted by elmatta View Post
    Since it's not together you can't check the compression. Look at the valves for damage. Check the impeller for gouges. Check the bottom of the ski for damage. Stick a battery in and check the gauges. Turn the crank by the rods a little and feel for excess play or grinding

Piston wash is the markings on the piston surface after combustion in the cylinder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistonwash.gif 
Views:	140 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	305850

If it's been sitting, you might as well rebuild the carbs. Buy some powervalves, temp sensor and a D-plate; all of which can be found in the greenhulk store.

Thanks!
    Please excuse my jet ski ignorance, but I do have a couple questions. How do I go about checking the valves (I'm guessing you mean power valves)? And what is a d plate?

So, I looked at it today and there were some interesting things.
    First off, one of the pistons had a chip out of the top.
    Next, the head, (piece that goes on top of the cylinders). The head had some small nicks on the inside of the dome where the pistons go up to.
    Next, the cylinders have been off for 2 years. The pistons have been on the rods all inside the ski.

So, what does all this come out to? Possible problems? I plan on rebuilding the engine. It has 96 hours on it, so....HELP PLEASE!!

Banned User
    +1
    unless your getting this project ski for dirt cheap find one running. if the crank is bad thats 1000.00 right off the bat for a oem crank. Sounds like he blew the motor and gave up. If you cant rebuild the carbs yourself theres another 400.00, maybe new used head is 100.00, misc gaskets and seals, 150-200+ using oem seals and gaskets. Irebuilt my GP1200R and it was far from cheap. I think you need to step back and look at the worst case scenario and decide if its cost effective. Theres a reason why so many get parted out yearly. A jug to get renicked is 250.00 if i recall plus 150 for one piston kit. Whats he asking for the blown up ski?

worst case scenario
    crank- 1000
    renick-250 per
    piston kit- 150 per
    gaskets/seals 150-200+
    wave eaters 100 set
    power valve-40 per
    dplate n chip- 100
    premix plate- 30
    plugs-10 set
    fuel filter-15
    carb rebuild- 150-400
    fuel lines-40

thats just inside the hull whats prop and wear ring n pump like? typically 100 hrs and a new top end is needed

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    unless your getting this project ski for dirt cheap find one running. if the crank is bad thats 1000.00 right off the bat for a oem crank. Sounds like he blew the motor and gave up. If you cant rebuild the carbs yourself theres another 400.00, maybe new used head is 100.00, misc gaskets and seals, 150-200+ using oem seals and gaskets. Irebuilt my GP1200R and it was far from cheap. I think you need to step back and look at the worst case scenario and decide if its cost effective. Theres a reason why so many get parted out yearly. A jug to get renicked is 250.00 if i recall plus 150 for one piston kit. Whats he asking for the blown up ski?

worst case scenario
    crank- 1000
    renick-250 per
    piston kit- 150 per
    gaskets/seals 150-200+
    wave eaters 100 set
    power valve-40 per
    dplate n chip- 100
    premix plate- 30
    plugs-10 set
    fuel filter-15
    carb rebuild- 150-400
    fuel lines-40

thats just inside the hull whats prop and wear ring n pump like? typically 100 hrs and a new top end is needed
    He has the SBT top end kit. Pistons, gaskets and all still in the box. He also has the three jugs and they all look spectacular. I'm guessing they got re sleeved. Maybe by SBT. He's asking 1000. It's a clean ski. Could use a power washing and a new seat cover, but looks good. What do you think is reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by tejhummer View Post

worst case scenario
    crank- 1000
    renick-250 per
    piston kit- 150 per
    gaskets/seals 150-200+
    wave eaters 100 set
    power valve-40 per
    dplate n chip- 100
    premix plate- 30
    plugs-10 set
    fuel filter-15
    carb rebuild- 150-400
    fuel lines-40

He has the SBT top end kit. Pistons, gaskets and all still in the box. He also has the three jugs and they all look spectacular. I'm guessing they got re sleeved. Maybe by SBT. He's asking 1000. It's a clean ski. Could use a power washing and a new seat cover, but looks good. What do you think is reasonable?

Anyone???

Banned User
    +1
    Buy it and start a build thread!

Buy it and start a build thread!
    Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information