Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage Problems

My friend has a 2001 Virage with the 700 and the last couple times he has taken it out it would ride fine for a while (probably half hour) and then it died on him as if he hit the kill switch. It would crank but not fire until it sat for about 10 min, then it would fire up and run fine for another 10 min or so before the problem repeated itself. Should I try disconnecting the yellow/black kill switch and see if the problem persists? Or bypass the LR module, or does this sound like something different?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module first. Easy to do, and they are known to fail on the early module versions.

Also look closely at the wire harness and connectors for anything that seems corroded, frayed, etc.

Does this apply to this 2001 Virage?

Connect the CDI Red/Purple wire according to Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 (page 43)

The Service Bulletin method, which is the preferred method for reliable warm re-starts, is to connect the Red/Purple wire coming out of the CDI (and only that Red/Purple wire) to the Orange wire terminal.

This ensures the CDI fully powers down when the engine stops (since the Orange wire does not supply power when engine is stopped). This change ensures that the CDI (and the engine) re-starts reliably every time.

This corrects a problem with the original factory wiring, where the CDI was always powered from the main Red/Purple battery power connection. Sometimes the CDI would not allow the engine to restart, until a long time had passed. The change to the orange wire connection prevents this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hink320 View Post
    Does this apply to this 2001 Virage?

Connect the CDI Red/Purple wire according to Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 (page 43)

The Service Bulletin method, which is the preferred method for reliable warm re-starts, is to connect the Red/Purple wire coming out of the CDI (and only that Red/Purple wire) to the Orange wire terminal.

This ensures the CDI fully powers down when the engine stops (since the Orange wire does not supply power when engine is stopped). This change ensures that the CDI (and the engine) re-starts reliably every time.

This corrects a problem with the original factory wiring, where the CDI was always powered from the main Red/Purple battery power connection. Sometimes the CDI would not allow the engine to restart, until a long time had passed. The change to the orange wire connection prevents this problem.
    Your 2001 Virage should already have this update......
    Last edited by hkg3k; 07-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Bypass the LR-505 Start/Stop module first. Easy to do, and they are known to fail on the early module versions.

Also look closely at the wire harness and connectors for anything that seems corroded, frayed, etc.
    Should I ride it until the problem arises again and then bypass and see if it fixes it? Or just bypass it and ride and see if the problem happens again?

Should I ride it until the problem arises again and then bypass and see if it fixes it? Or just bypass it and ride and see if the problem happens again?
    When the LR-505 is bypassed.........the battery does not receive charge and you can only kill the motor by pulling the lanyard.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

It will be a little tricky to do the bypass while floating out on the water somewhere.

I suppose one approach is to ride it somewhere where it is easy to get to shore when the problem happens. Then do the bypass at the water's edge.

Be very careful. If you leave the battery hooked up then everything inside the electrical box is live while you are messing with wires. And the loose wire ends must be taped to keep them from touching or shorting anything when you close the box.

A partial LR module bypass would be to keep connected to the LR-505 module only the Yellow, Red/Purple and ground connections. The rest are disconnected and moved per the bypass instructions. This will retain battery charging, so you can ride without worrying about battery discharge.

If the battery is really healthy, it might last that long without the charging system, but I don't think this is a good approach.

I rode the ski until it died again. I took it in the boat house and did the partial bypass and now it's turning over but there's no spark. Before I did the bypass there was spark but it wouldn't start

I just reconnected everything I bypassed and it fired up immediately. Would it still be the LR module? Did I do the bypass wrong since there was no spark when I bypassed it?
    Last edited by hink320; 07-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to get this problem sorted out. Did I do the LR bypass wrong since there was no spark while it was cranking when I did the bypass? When I did the bypass I unhooked everything but the yellow and red/purple and then I hooked the non LR black/white up to the black ground. Is there something I missed to get spark?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information