98 spx 800 throttle

So I restored a 98spx over the winter, its all back to stock and I've had it out and run several tanks of fuel through it. I have no complaints as it runs strong and starts well. The question I have is regarding how the rpms climb around the rave valves opening. I've owned an 95 HX since new and this is the first seadoo ive ridden that has rave valves. It starts and acceraltes like normal till about 1/3 throttle and then any further and the engine really really wakes up and the rpms jump about 1500 or more. Above and below this point the throttle response is good and crisp. There is no hesitation anywhere in the power band and no detonation at any time. The differance in speed is probably 15mph and there is no in between. I dont know if this a characteristic of a rave valved engine or is there something going on I need to addresss. The ski runs perfect otherwise. Any one who has ridden one that knows if this is normal or not please let me know. Thanks.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sink79 View Post
    So I restored a 98spx over the winter, its all back to stock and I've had it out and run several tanks of fuel through it. I have no complaints as it runs strong and starts well. The question I have is regarding how the rpms climb around the rave valves opening. I've owned an 95 HX since new and this is the first seadoo ive ridden that has rave valves. It starts and acceraltes like normal till about 1/3 throttle and then any further and the engine really really wakes up and the rpms jump about 1500 or more. Above and below this point the throttle response is good and crisp. There is no hesitation anywhere in the power band and no detonation at any time. The differance in speed is probably 15mph and there is no in between. I dont know if this a characteristic of a rave valved engine or is there something going on I need to addresss. The ski runs perfect otherwise. Any one who has ridden one that knows if this is normal or not please let me know. Thanks.
    Totally normal. You can adjust the springs on top of the raves to ease that snappyness a bit but it will still do it regardless just have to learn how to ride that throttle just the right way

I have to screw down the red caps a bit?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Unscrew them as that relieves the tension screw them down for more and a slightly sharper response

Thread Information