Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 Polaris Freedom 700 NO SPARK!! PLZ Help

Ok here is what i done to the jetski so far...2003 Polaris Freedom 700

When i first got the jetski and put the battery.. the bilge pump stayed on no matter what..so i checked my switch at the handle bar and the switch its working properly...when i checked my LR505 board by ohming orange to red/purp it was showing close yellow to orange same..and so on... so i figure that that board was bad so i went ahead and order a new one.. the new board dosent ohm the same but i still dont get spark
    1st i check how much volts i was getting on red/purpl while cranking 11.4
    2nd i did the hall efect test and its good (so that means my stator is good right?)
    3rd Check Voltage from Brown wire coming out of CDI and am getting 9. something...
    4th I put a spark tester... and the bulb lights up... no not really strong but i can see it go on and off
    Checke Landyard Swirch Good

Now i wonder if my coil its bad... i checked resistance like the manual says and am pretty sure it ohm out right (that dont mean the coils its good right?) but i really dont know what to do anymore i really need some help!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

So you DO have spark with the new LR module installed, but the spark is weak or intermittent, correct?

Do you have the correct spark plugs installed?

Connect a spare spark plug (of the correct type) to one of the plug wires.

Keep the other plug wire attached to its normal position on an installed spark plug. All cylinders should have spark plugs installed, with just one not having a plug wire.

Use a thick leather glove to hold the metal shell of the loose, but plugged in, spark plug to a bare metal spot on the engine.

Now crank the engine, lanyard in place. You should see a strong blue spark at the plug tip. The spark should be consistent as the engine continues to crank. 5-10 seconds of cranking should be plenty of time to verify good spark.

Ok i done that part to see if i got spark but i dont...when i hook my spark tester i get pulses tru the tester...now that makes me wonder if my coil its bad....bc it looks like am getting signal from my stator and my cdi (computer)...or correct me if am wrong....i change that lr505 board bc my bilge pump was staying on all the time and 3 wires were close all time....like i said my battery its good..am getting more than 9 volts tru brown wire coming out of cdi...my hall efect test looks good....i tried to feed the stator with a 9v battery and still no spark....let me know if am confusing you lol...thank k447 you always been big help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlangas1921 View Post
    Ok i done that part to see if i got spark but i dont...

when i hook my spark tester i get pulses tru the tester...now that makes me wonder if my coil its bad....

bc it looks like am getting signal from my stator and my cdi (computer)...or correct me if am wrong....

i change that lr505 board bc my bilge pump was staying on all the time and 3 wires were close all time....like i said my battery its good..

am getting more than 9 volts tru brown wire coming out of cdi...my hall efect test looks good....i tried to feed the stator with a 9v battery and still no spark....

let me know if am confusing you lol...
    Well, you could break your reply into actual paragraphs, that would help

Did you ohm check the stator COILS?

You can connect your volt meter to the Black/White wires from the CDI (that connect to the ignition coil). Use gloves, as the voltage spikes are strong. If the CDI is actually putting out proper ignition pulses to the ignition coil the meter will read several hundred volts DC.

Ok just to make this clear...one cable from my meter to one back/white cable from cdi , and the other meter cable to the other back/white cable?..thanks i didnt know you could check that like that...

Now to check stator coils: Is that where you put voltage to the stator with a 9v battery and turn the engine slowly to check resistanse?

Sorry am new at this forums, i always read them but i had never post one lol......am really good with seadoos and yamaha...i rarely mess with polaris jetskis for this reason

+1
    Ok just to make this clear...one cable from my meter to one back/white cable from cdi , and the other meter cable to the other back/white cable?..thanks i didnt know you could check that like that...

Now to check stator coils: Is that where you put voltage to the stator with a 9v battery and turn the engine slowly to check resistanse?

Sorry am new at this forums, i always read them but i had never post one lol......am really good with seadoos and yamaha...i rarely mess with polaris jetskis for this reason
    Have a look at this web page;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

And this link should show you how to test the magneto stator coils.
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

ok..k447 do you know around how much voltage? on the withe/black coming out of cdi

Also do you know what kind of voltage i should have from plug wire to ground?...i get 6vAC

+1
    ok..k447 do you know around how much voltage? on the withe/black coming out of cdi
    Also do you know what kind of voltage i should have from plug wire to ground?...i get 6vAC
    Spark plugs fire with a DC voltage surge, in the thousands of volts. Do not be connecting your multimeter to the spark plug wires when the engine is cranking.

CDI delivers a couple of hundred volts DC into the ignition coil via the Black/White wires.
    Last edited by K447; 07-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.

ok I plug my meter to back/white wires coming out of my cdi and I got 250vdc is that about right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information