Niagara Falls, NY

R&D Rideplate Angle

I spent a lot of time reading old posts on the Riva site and this site regarding the R&D Intake Grate and the R&D Rideplate on the 97 GP1200. I see lots of posts where they talk about changing angles by adding washers to the front, washers to the back. I am wondering if anyone has actuallly measured the angle of the plate relative to the intake grate plane once they got it dialed in. With the digital levels around now it would be pretty easy to see where you were at. I bought a used plate off e-bay (with the Group-k cut I think) and would like to see where I am at, I really don't know of the plate mounting bosses have been modified by someone after group-k.

I made new billet aluminum tabs and they are out for anodizing right now.

With the tabs, the R&D grate and R&D ride plate would you guys recommend the 0 or 5 degree nozzle ? I have both.

With the following what would be a realistic speed to shoot for initially ?

R&D Intake
    R&D Ride plate
    Billet Tabs
    Riva F/A's
    lightly blueprinted pump (just cleaned up castings)
    New XO (box stock)
    5 degree nozzle
    Primer kit
    Engine completely stock

Thanks in advance.

Texas City, Texas
    I suspect that you will see between 57 and 59mph... maybe I am being conservative. For sure not more than 61 without "tweaking". The difference between 57 and 61 is pretty dramatic on a stock GP.

The 97 hull flexes a lot. It cost you a couple mph

The 0 degree nozzle gives a great hole shot, but it makes the hull plow through the water. It will take care of you in water over 18 inches of chop.

The 5 degree will give you on the average a much smoother ride in choppy water under 18 inches and about a mile per hour increase in smooth water. It is not a pretty thing in rough water. The boat is still stable, but you have to work a bit harder to stay in control.

Cannot comment on the plate.

The tabs are an absolute must. You lost speed with the plastic tabs. The aluminum tabs will get it back.

There is a type of tool that you can get at a craft shop that is a combination ruler and protractor..... cost about 15 bucks. It will easily help you measure the ride plate angle. I suspect that depending on your weight, the thrust nozzle and your top speed, that you will wind up with an angle between 4 and 5 degrees. Mind you, there is a huge difference between speed and control with these two angles, and that is why people should use shims or washers to the 10-20 thousandths range to get the best ride for them.

Orange, TX
    I have run a 5 degree nozzle with the GK R&D plate. I do not have any porpoising. If you ride in mostly choppy water you may prefer the 0 degree. Try them both and see which one you like the best.

Thread Information