1999 Polaris Genesis

My 1999 Genesis starts and comes up on plane. Stops accelerating at 5000 rpm or 35 mph. On the trailer it revs to 8000. Any ideas what I should be looking at? Throttle position sensor? Many thanks for any help you could provide.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

Any warning messages on the display?

Engine cylinder compression check?

What is the recent service history.

See my signature links for common maintenance items.

Carburetor engine, the red engine 1200 3 cylinder. no warnings or red lights. It was having trouble cold starting early this season which I thought might be compression but I put a new gel battery in it and the cold start problem went away. I have not done a compression check but replaced plugs and actually ran it with each of the three plug wires disconnected and there was no noticeable difference in performance. Still just went to 35 mph and will hold there. I will do a compression check. Thanks

+1
    Carburetor engine does not have a Throttle Position Sensor, that is only on fuel injected engines.

Does it accelerate as strongly as it should from idle to 35 mph, or is it a weaker acceleration?

During initial acceleration in the water does the engine rev above 5000?

Is the throttle cable properly adjusted? Correct slack at the throttle lever? Do the carbs fully open when the throttle is squeezed (engine off)?

Hey thanks for the help, It does not accelerate as strongly to 35mph. From the dock when someone takes off it almost sounds like it missing a little. The rpms do not exceed 5000 during initial acceleration. All three carbs are fully open when the accelerator is is squeezed. I have tried some cleaner through the carbs. I cant answer you yet on the slack of the cable. I looked at the throttle cable, and the choke cable to make sure there was no extra play in cable. They both appeared to be in good shape.

Also I noticed it still has the old gray fuel lines. I dont see any signs of collapse but I have not checked for the green goo problem.

+1
    Do all three cylinders get equally warm?

I am thinking the engine is simply low on power.
    Compression, ignition, carburetors, fuel system.

If the carbs need cleaning the only way to do it properly is to take them apart and clean everything internally, then reassemble with genuine OEM carb rebuilt kits.

Replace the old fuel hoses at the same time. Original fuel hoses are, well, old.

Ok thanks, I will do a compression check this week. Is it possible that fuel pressure could cause these symptoms also? I will work through your list and let you know what my results look like. Thank you again for helping me. If you ever want to boat in East Tennessee give me a shout and we can hook you up.

Thread Information