cuple 1994 vxr questions, Premix vs pump, and waterbox fix, impellor?

1. Im about to cut open my vxr's waterbox to replace the broken rivits with bolts/then seal of course. I mean i dont see any other way to fix this. Then im just gonna fiberglass the hole i cut. Just curious if anyone else has done this?

2. Is the oil injector pump prone to failing on these? Ive heard the pump referred to as cheap.. Last time i took one of these apart on a dirtbike i sure didnt see anything in there that could fail. I do find it strange that its injected so high on the carburetor as oppose to the intake(to lube throttle plate). So is anybody totally against running the injector pump? I mean it doesnt have plastic in it right? I always figured the oil was "fresher" coming out of the injector pump than the oil that sits mixed in the gasoline when running premix. Oh and thats gotta be a self bleeding pump right?

3. Also wondering where the impellor is on this thing. Does it have one? is it like a boat impellor, rubber star lookin thing? I will look for the impellor after fixing the waterbox. Thanks so much ahead a time sorry for long post! Oh and I read a post about a blown waterbox causing the flywheel key to sheer WtF that doesnt sound right!

+1
    I put a new engine in a VXR last year because of a failed oil pump. And they had me put on a good used oil pump on the new engine cause they don't want to premix...lol! I don't run 'em on any of mine, premix only. Try to find a good used waterbox, maybe the classifieds on this forum or E-bay. The impeller can be seen by looking through the back into the steering nozzle, or by getting underneath and looking backwards through the intake grate.

hey thanks for the reply, well i did just what i said i was gonna do but i did it even better(with the waterbox) i put the fitting ON THE OUTSIDE of the waterbox as apposed to the inside, thriple gasketed it with quality gasket paper that i hand made that was sandwiched between THE RIGHT STUFF, since the steel fitting is not an even surface. I used stainless steel bolts that were large size so the 4 holes had to be drilled bigger in the hose fitting, that f*cker aint gonna leak! then i fiberglassed the hole with 4 layers of fiberglass. It was kinda a mother but the hardest part was figuring out how i wanted to do it. Its stronger than a mother no need to worry about rivits or that green shit falling out. From what i can tell that waterbox is fiberglass. ya so i was trying to figure out how it gets cooled and the impeller that makes the jetski go is the same impeller that forces the water up to the manifold???? is that how water gets to the manifold?

+1
    Yes, the pressure inside the jet pump forces water through a small hose up to the engine. The cooling water passes through the engine and exits out through a water bypass and through the exhaust. That also helps cool the exhaust down so nothing gets super hot inside the ski.

Thread Information