Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2000 GP1200R leaked 1/2 tank of gas into hull

Happy Independence day!
    Thanks to all in advance.
    A little 2000 GP1200R ski history, engine and carbs rebuilt end of last season. Usual beginner mods, d-plate/chip, wave eater clips, free flow exhaust. Wanted to break in engine before spending more $$$ on the bolt on mods.
    Now the problem:
    Went to lake to start engine break in period. Pre-flight check list noticed gas tank 1/2 empty.. I know I just filled it 2 weeks earlier and didn't run ski other than the quick start/kill to make sure it would start periodically.
    Found missing gas in hull...
    Now the questions:
    Could leaving the gas valve in "res" allow ski to leak 1/2 tank of gas in to hull...?
    I didn't notice gas smell in front where gas tank sits. Gas lines from tank were not replaced during rebuild but all lines going to carbs are new.
    Should I be able to leave gas valve "on" and not worry about gas leaking out of carbs.. ? Seems to me I had a motorcycle that liked to drip gas if I left gas on..
    I did search for gas leak in the forum but didn't see much to go on.
    Anyone experienced this before and if so, what was your fix..?

+1
    Using aftermarket carb rebuild kits can cause you to leak a half tank and more into your hull especially if you leave it sitting in the sun a lot. the Yamaha mikuni kits have a thicker O ring from the factory in the carbs and the kits. using different kits with the wrong o rings in them can cause a leak on the pump side of the carbs. as the pressure builds in the tank the fuel will just continue to leak out the carbs. this may not be your problem but a place to start.

+1
    Also you should be able to leave your gas valve on in either position without any problems.

+1
    Thanks Mudslanger. Sorry, should have been more detailed. We used mikuni carb kits.

+1
    Yes but did you get them from Riva Yamaha. the mikuni kits not from Riva Yamaha can have the smaller diameter O rings in them.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkyamaha View Post
    Happy Independence day!
    Thanks to all in advance.
    A little 2000 GP1200R ski history, engine and carbs rebuilt end of last season. Usual beginner mods, d-plate/chip, wave eater clips, free flow exhaust. Wanted to break in engine before spending more $$$ on the bolt on mods.
    Now the problem:
    Went to lake to start engine break in period. Pre-flight check list noticed gas tank 1/2 empty.. I know I just filled it 2 weeks earlier and didn't run ski other than the quick start/kill to make sure it would start periodically.
    Found missing gas in hull...
    Now the questions:
    Could leaving the gas valve in "res" allow ski to leak 1/2 tank of gas in to hull...?
    I didn't notice gas smell in front where gas tank sits. Gas lines from tank were not replaced during rebuild but all lines going to carbs are new.
    Should I be able to leave gas valve "on" and not worry about gas leaking out of carbs.. ? Seems to me I had a motorcycle that liked to drip gas if I left gas on..
    I did search for gas leak in the forum but didn't see much to go on.
    Anyone experienced this before and if so, what was your fix..?
    Eight gallons of gas in the hull and you didn't smell anything and you started it? You better thank your lucky stars you're still here in one piece. Wow.

+1
    there's a good chance I started it with gas in the hull.. I am in the habit of taking seat off prior to starting any ski. Yes, I did smell gas but thought it was the leftover fumes from starting and stopping since I was off water hose. Yes, I am thanking the good lord for not making me a firework for the 4th...

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Well good thing is nothing bad happened, and you found it.

+1
    does anyone have a recommendation on a product to absorb all this "gas/oil" mix? Some kind of special sponge.. Kitty litter is out of the question!

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    Why dont you just tilt the ski up in the front and let the gas run out the 2 drain plugs in the rear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information