Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

new to PWC and greenhulk

Hey all, I am new to this forum. I am currently without a PWC but have been lurking here looking for advice. I want to RIDE!

I live on a lagoon in TR and want to saddle up on a decent craft. I'm a little paranoid about buying something used because I dont want to buy into a sandy victim issue but I also dont really want to spend money on a new craft since i am entry level.

I've searched craigslist and ebay, come across a few used PWC in my price range but I just dont trust it. I am leaning towards a Yamaha because I stopped by jet medix in TR and they told me thats the most reliable and easy to work with brand.

Anyone know of any reputable dealers or people who buy/fix/sell crafts on the nj shore? What should I be looking for on a used craft? Most people just want to hook up the hose and show me how the engine runs but I know theres got to be more to it than that. I also know that the whole "what to look for" thing varies by make/model/relevant issue....but any general pointers are appreciated.

I am looking for some honest advice as a complete novice so go easy on me.

+1
    what are you looking for in a ski? flat water speed? decent cruiser? wave jumper, 2 or 3 person? towing tubes or skiers? What is your budget? for a used ski? and what is your absolute max you would/could spend for a new or leftover?

thank you for your reply. i want something that goes over 55mph, only because my friend has a kawa that goes 58 and i want to go out with him and not be left in the dust. i weight 250lbs so I think something bigger would be better for me, so 3 seater. I really dont plan to pull tubes or skis....it would be a good option but not a priority. i am a bit schizo with my budget because I could spend pretty much any amount but I am looking fort a good deal. I would say for something used, I would do 3500-4000. I was looking at a brand new 2013 yamaha vxr for $8500 on ebay, that some dealer in NYC is selling. I want to treat this as a hobby like guys who take their motorcycle out for a scenic ride with some friends and just cruise....i want to cruise....but hang.

My skill level as far as mechanical compentancy is low so I couldnt do anything thats needs work. I am sure once I become a true PWCer, I would learn to work on my machine, but for now, let's say I have no inclination to do so.

+1
    i saw that vxs on ebay. good price for that ski, it's fast for being naturally aspirated, 68ish mph stock. But the ski is small(by todays ski size standards) It's great for flat water. but, not the funnest ride when the water gets rough.

+1
    $3500-4000 is pretty tough when it comes to the 4-stroke pwc market. most of the 4-strokes don't drop below 4000 unless they're ex-rentals or abused. A standard VX (not the VXR) from 06-08 may be found in that price range. But, they're only 110hp and top out at 53mph on their best day.

You may find an FX140 model from 2002 thru 2005, same engine as the VX, 30HP more, they run around 56ish.

An FXHO 2004-2005, same hull and engine as FX140 with HP bumped to 160 will run in the 58-59mph range. That would be my choice for a starter ski for you. It's everything you would need. 3-seater, easy maintenance, rides nicely, even in choppy water. If taken care of can run for hundreds of hours. Only down side is finding one for $4000 or less. Its possible for a 2004-2005. But, for a 2006 up. $5000-up is the going rate for one that has been looked after.

6. +1 by:

Thank you! I found a Honda I like and it's really clean but it's on eBay in cape may from a guy makes captainron. He has a bunch listed. He has perfect feedback Still I'm a little concerned about buying it.

+1
    4 stroke Yamaha's are reliable but not that easy to work on and parts aren't that cheap. Seadoos break but they are easier to work on and parts are cheaper. I don't like Honda's simply because they are boring but they never seem to break either. 4 stroke Kawasaki's break the spark plugs off in the head and then you're screwed. Only ski you're getting that does over 55 and is fun to ride in that price range is a Yamaha GP1300R. It's 2 stroke but it's fuel injected. If you get a 1200, you'll have to sit around and pray that it never needs the carburetors rebuilt (super expensive job). If you do find a cheap 4 stroke, stay away from superchargers because maintenance is going to hurt your wallet.

My vote in no special order:
    GP1300R
    FXHO
    155HP GTI
    Honda

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    4 stroke Yamaha's are reliable but not that easy to work on and parts aren't that cheap. Seadoos break but they are easier to work on and parts are cheaper. I don't like Honda's simply because they are boring but they never seem to break either. 4 stroke Kawasaki's break the spark plugs off in the head and then you're screwed. Only ski you're getting that does over 55 and is fun to ride in that price range is a Yamaha GP1300R. It's 2 stroke but it's fuel injected. If you get a 1200, you'll have to sit around and pray that it never needs the carburetors rebuilt (super expensive job). If you do find a cheap 4 stroke, stay away from superchargers because maintenance is going to hurt your wallet.

My vote in no special order:
    GP1300R
    FXHO
    155HP GTI
    Honda
    The spark plugs only break in the Kawasaki if you over tighten them and don't use a torque wrench.

This is great advice! Thank you all. I am going to do some hunting this week. Probably will try to buy something used. That is interesting regarding seadoos being the easiest to work in and having the cheapest parts. The Honda sold for way more than I want to spend.

Anyone know of a good marine shop/dealer that sells used or trade in pwc? I'm only aware of capisano in brick and marine and motor sports in TR. I might check out east Dover .

I appreciate the feedback.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bladdle View Post
    This is great advice! Thank you all. I am going to do some hunting this week. Probably will try to buy something used. That is interesting regarding seadoos being the easiest to work in and having the cheapest parts. The Honda sold for way more than I want to spend.

Anyone know of a good marine shop/dealer that sells used or trade in pwc? I'm only aware of capisano in brick and marine and motor sports in TR. I might check out east Dover .

I appreciate the feedback.
    Check these out

Craigslist: 2006 Kawasaki stx12f jetski http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3918121699.html

Craigslist: 2003 Yamaha GP1300R waverunner / jet ski http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3907647946.html

Craigslist: 2009 JET SKI KAWASAKI ULTRA-LX http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3902613667.html

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information