Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anyone been charged with reckless operation of a vessel? What was the penalty?

I know this is off topic, please forgive me.

I was recently charged with reckless operation of a vessel. If any readers have been charged with that in Florida and can lend any insight on what to expect, that would be great.

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/f...tatutes_327-33

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/f...atutes_775-083

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/f...atutes_775-082

Depending on the severity of your actions, it looks like you're looking at a fine of up to $1000, or imprisonment up to a maximum of 1 year. My best advice would be to talk to someone with a legal background. If you did something really stupid, get a lawyer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinride View Post

I was recently charged with reckless operation of a vessel. If any readers have been charged with that in Florida and can lend any insight on what to expect, that would be great.
    What were you doing/did that warranted being stopped in the first place? That might help.

+1
    Depends on what exactly happened and what the ticket says. Prison is a stretch unless there was an arrest, accident involving others, loss of life, property loss past a certain amount, alcohol or other drug involvement as a few factors. If a misdemeanor, you'll have a court date where you will come before a judge and will either be given the option to pay the fine with basically no admission of guilt or set a court date to argue charges and take your best shot. Sounds like you were at some measure of fault, so may be in your best interest to take the fine and move on. You will need to provide more info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post

What were you doing/did that warranted being stopped in the first place? That might help.
    The OP should not answer that question........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post

The OP should not answer that question........
    Good point!

+1
    Dang, sorry man. I think there's a lot of us here who could probably be charged with that every time we go out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Dang, sorry man. I think there's a lot of us here who could probably be charged with that every time we go out
    lol...no kidding. We'd all have pontoon boats if we weren't all crazy ass ski riders.

+1
    No one asked him to incriminate himself in a response, just what the marine patrol wrote on the ticket. I can't speak for other states, but in Florida, there is initially no presumption of innocence in misdemeanor court. That comes after if you choose to set a court date to fight the ticket. Not even ignorance is an excuse to break the law. He will stand before the judge if in misdemeanor court and they will read it out loud in front of everyone else in court to hear. It's at that time he can decide if to pay the fine or set a court date. The judge can also at that time determine if a trail is necessary depending on history or circumstances.

Banned User
    +1
    Prepare your anus and get your checkbook out

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information