+1

95 hx start problem, please assist

I buy cheap broken down skis and repair them, mostly to ride. I picked up a 95 seadoo hx with a 717 motor that was in pieces for 75 bucks with a clean title. I didnt see any issues with the motor, but went ahead with a full tear down anyway, since it was already partially apart. Everything checked out good, bearings and everything were nice and tight. I put everything back together, rotating assembly works great. Rod down the spark plug hole and hand rotation is good, no odd noises, pressure or hesitation.

My problem is this. When I got to the starter/flywheel the old bendix had been SEVERELY worn on the face behind the gear. To the point it was actually cracking and falling apart. The front 1/16th of an inch or so of the gears had been ground to the side. I put a known good starter off another 717 in the case....loaded her up and went to test start it before I hooked up all the exhaust. With the magneto cover off it looks to me like the starter is sitting too far inside the case. The gears contact the flywheel at rest, with the bendix fully retracted. Im assuming this was the case with the old starter, and why they thought the motor was locked up and tore it down. Im completely stumped as to why this could happen. There is no damage to the magneto case where the starter attaches, the flywheel is correct and installed properly on its keyway.

Im completely stumped. If anyone has any idea why my starter is essentially an inch too far forward Id love to hear it.

+1
    Found the problem. Ring gear had somehow come loose on the flywheel and shifted back toward the starter. I pressed it back into position and now the starter is functioning fine and the motor turns over good. Im not getting spark, but Im guessing thats because when I pulled the flywheel one of the bolts hit the magneto and broke 2 strands of copper winding. Im not 100% sure thats enough to cause no spark, but thats where Im gonna start.

Just thought I would post my results in case anyone ever has a similar problem

+1
    Yes, that will cause no spark. The ring gear will need spot welded in several places or it will come loose again.

Thread Information