1998 gp1200 overheat

Hello hulk! all of you have extremely helpful to me over the last couple of months and now i have a question! So I was breaking in my new SBT motor yesterday and allowed a buddy to participate. He sucked up some sand which blocked the filter after the cooling inlet. He ran about 2 mins. He only ran between idle and about 40% throttle. The motor was hot. Water droplets around the spark plugs began to boil after about 5-6 seconds. No hoses melted. SBT had a little temperature sensitive sticker on the top of the head which turned red. I got the line unclogged and started it. Water ran through and it cooled down significantly. Seemed to run perfectly. Perhaps it's idling just a little slower but still starting right up, even after completely cool, and running strong. This happened towards the end if the break in. Do you think it will be ok? I plan to check compression when I get home. BTW, the initial engine failed for a similar reason and I didn't realize it until it was too late. The previous owner had cut the thermostat cable which disabled it. After yesterday, you better believe that I rewired it! I'm just concerned about my new motor!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1234 View Post
    Hello hulk! all of you have extremely helpful to me over the last couple of months and now i have a question! So I was breaking in my new SBT motor yesterday and allowed a buddy to participate. He sucked up some sand which blocked the filter after the cooling inlet. He ran about 2 mins. He only ran between idle and about 40% throttle. The motor was hot. Water droplets around the spark plugs began to boil after about 5-6 seconds. No hoses melted. SBT had a little temperature sensitive sticker on the top of the head which turned red. I got the line unclogged and started it. Water ran through and it cooled down significantly. Seemed to run perfectly. Perhaps it's idling just a little slower but still starting right up, even after completely cool, and running strong. This happened towards the end if the break in. Do you think it will be ok? I plan to check compression when I get home. BTW, the initial engine failed for a similar reason and I didn't realize it until it was too late. The previous owner had cut the thermostat cable which disabled it. After yesterday, you better believe that I rewired it! I'm just concerned about my new motor!

Well compression is an even 120 on all cylinders and I brought it out and it runs great. I guess it's ok...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny1234 View Post
    Do you think it will be ok? |
    Only time will tell.

Sounds like you lucked out.. if you're going to be running where is going to suck sand up all the time you might look into filter. I would also recommend you take off your cool lines and clean them out make sure everything is free flowing. Be nice to your new engine

Quote Originally Posted by 420kushking View Post
    Sounds like you lucked out.. if you're going to be running where is going to suck sand up all the time you might look into filter. I would also recommend you take off your cool lines and clean them out make sure everything is free flowing. Be nice to your new engine

I do have a filter. The filter was all clogged up with sand. Thats why it overheated. I brought it out yesterday with no issues at all. I haven't removed the cooling lines but water was pouring out of the pisser all day. I don't think much got through because it was all in the filter! Thanks for all of your responses. Hopefully all remain well and if it doesn't, lets hope it goes bad while I'm in my warranty period! Thanks again!

+1
    Why are you running so shallow that it could suck up anything in the first place? Shut it off as you come in to the bank, let it coast in, then hop off in knee deep water.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Why are you running so shallow that it could suck up anything in the first place? Shut it off as you come in to the bank, let it coast in, then hop off in knee deep water.

I ALWAYS do just exactly that. It was a buddy of mine that began to throttle up a bit too shallow and when the back end dropped it sucked up the sand. I certainly tried to get his attention but his back was facing me and of course the two stroke makes anything else difficult to hear! That's what I get for letting someone else ride my ski! Lol lesson learned! On the upside, had it out yesterday. Break in nearly complete and it running beautifully. In fact, it'll start from cold without even priming it pretty much instantly. All is well that ends well, I guess.

+1
    Yep, even after you thoroughly explain things to buddies, they still manage to do exactly what you told them not to.

Thread Information