Still 900 zxi problems

I checked the pump nothing is blocking it. I am getting water flow. It ran fine a month ago when I put them in the water...Vibrated a little more than usual. Now it won't go over 5 grand and the motor vibrates really bad. I am the original owner and I have had no problems with this one until this year. It starts right up and idles fine. Smokes a little. Being that it is a two stroke, 18 years old, and I was fortunate to only buy batteries so far am I looking at a rebuild or would there be hopefully a cheaper stupid solution that I am just unaware of...?

+1
    The first thing to do is try new spark plugs. While you have them out, do a compression test.

+1
    And if all that checks out...then go onto the fuel system. From the screens on the pickup tubes in the gas tank, to the fuel filter (usually better to just replace it), and onto the little internal screen filters inside the carbs...as well as the other carb parts.

While you have the carbs open, check the height of the arm on top of the needle and seat, it's really important that is right. Do a search for detailed info on that.

Also the ethanol mix in today's gasoline's eats the gas lines on the inside, especially the older type, and also gunks them up. Most times they need replacing...the Polaris folks say replace them, period...and for good reason.

Actually, now that you mentioned it... When I put the (95) jet ski in the water, it ran fine. The spark plugs were fairly old maybe three years with very little use, So I put new ones in, stock, BR9ES... Ever since then it has been running poorly. I did not check the compression though. I did this to both Jet ski's and the one (96) runs just fine.
    Is it possible that I got a bad plug?
    And if so would that cause the motor to vibrate more than normal and not go past 5 grand?

+1
    Did you check the gap on the spark plugs when you put them in?

No.... And I never had to do it before... They were new... I'm assuming this means maybe I have a bad plug or plugs and start from there... That would make sense now...
    Thanks... I'll try that and let you know...

+1
    Never assume anything...with jet ski's, or women.

Thread Information