Thread: Bilge pump

Bilge pump

Is there supposed to be a bilge switch on a 96 sltx? There's a bilge pump and I hooked it up direct and it works but I can't find a switch for it anywhere. I bought an automatic one to run instead, but I'm trying to figure out which wire I can hook it up to so that it only has power while the motor is running so its not draining the battery when it's not running.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The standard bilge pump system in the Polaris watercraft is designed to run all the time when the engine is running.

The bilge pump power (Orange wire) is switched on automatically when the engine starts.

Polaris used the Rule brand bilge pumps as OEM. Rule pumps are designed to run continuously even when the bilge is dry, without damage to the pump. If water gets into the hull and the engine is running, the water gets pumped out right away.

I suggest you install a Polaris OEM type Rule bilge pump, either the 360 Gallon per Hour (same as factory stock) or the higher capacity 500GPH model, which fits in the same bilge pump mount. No float or 'automatic' version needed, just a straightforward Rule bilge pump.

The problem with float type bilge pumps is that the float tends to get beat up by all the hull bouncing when riding. And the float does not provide any benefit in the Polaris system.

'Automatic' bilge pumps which electronically check for water every minute or three provide no benefit in the Polaris system, as there is no power to the bilge pump when the engine is not running.

I think starting with 1997 and later all Polaris have a Bilge button on the handlebar, which allows the rider to force the bilge pump to run even when the engine is off.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the orange wire was supposed to provide power when the ski is running but I fired it up and had the volt meter hooked up to the orange and a negative and it would only register 0.4 volts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hink320 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I thought that the orange wire was supposed to provide power when the ski is running but I fired it up and had the volt meter hooked up to the orange and a negative and it would only register 0.4 volts.
    LR module may be bad, or not properly connected.

Also check the small 3 Amp fuse for the bilge pump. Remove the fuse and check with ohm meter.

LR module is brand new, all wires are hooked up properly and I checked the resistance on the fuse and it has none. The ski runs good and keeps the battery charged good so it seems the LR module is working properly. Is there anything else I could try? As soon as the ski is running should the orange wire have power or does it take a minute to get power?

+1
    Orange wire should have power as soon as the engine begins cranking.

Could a brand new LR module go bad after only a couple hours of riding? I'm getting no power to the orange wire when it's running or cranking. I've also had a hard time starting it. Installed a brand new battery and checked the voltage and there was 11.4 volts while it was cranking, but it was only producing spark in 1 out of 3 cylinders (the mag cylinder). I put it on the trickle charger for an hour or so just for the heck of it and it fired right up. Two days later it's having the same problem but charging it doesn't do anything any more.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hink320 View Post
    Could a brand new LR module go bad after only a couple hours of riding? I'm getting no power to the orange wire when it's running or cranking. I've also had a hard time starting it.

Installed a brand new battery and checked the voltage and there was 11.4 volts while it was cranking, but it was only producing spark in 1 out of 3 cylinders (the mag cylinder). I put it on the trickle charger for an hour or so just for the heck of it and it fired right up. Two days later it's having the same problem but charging it doesn't do anything any more.
    Is the bilge pump itself working properly?

Make very sure both the CDI and the LR module have solid ground connections.

What is the voltage right at the CDI Red/Purple wire when cranking?

Voltage at the Orange wire when cranking?

Also make sure the kill signal (Black/Yellow wire) is not grounded when the lanyard is in.
    Disconnect CDI Black/Yellow and ohm measure the kill switch wire (the wire going up to the handlebar) to ground. With lanyard in place the switch ohms should be very high or open circuit, something more than 100,000 ohms. A perfect open circuit is what you really want, with lanyard in place.

Thread Information