Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

SLT750 only running on 1 cylinder

I have a 1995 SLT 750 that ran fine when I winterized it last fall. This year while putting the electronics box in it contacted the battery post and melted the ground wire to the stator. I replaced the stator but the new one didn't have the index mark so I installed in the same orientation as the one removed. Still no spark and stator checked OK so I replaced the CDI box. Now I have spark on all three coils (will jump 1/4" gap) but it only runs on the front (mag) cylinder. squirting fuel into the other 2 carbs makes no difference so I'm assuming It's not a carb issue. All compressions are 115-120. I saw some marks on the flywheel when it was off but can't see them with a timing light while the engine is running, Can these engines be checked with a light? Any suggestions on where to check next?
    Thanks, Chris

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

Timing can and should be checked. For your model, it is 24 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees at 3000 RPM. I assume the center and pto jugs are cold when the engine runs?

Yes the center and PTO jugs are cold and removing their plug wires makes no difference. Putting the mag plug wire on them doesn't wake them up either so I don't think it's ignition. The marks on the flywheel weren't numbered, is there a certain mark I'm looking for or do I have to find it with a degree wheel? I would think if timing was the issue the front cylinder would be running badly but it sounds pretty normal. I'm having trouble understanding how I can have spark, compression and pour some fuel in and not get a response. could there be some issue with the carbs for 2&3 that floods them too bad to fire?

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    You would need to use a degree wheel.

Sounds like either your crank is way out of index, or more likely you have a carb issue. Not sure what else it could be.

I pulled Flywheel and marked TDC and 25* BTDC. TDC was aligned with the keyway. The flywheel had 6 timing marks arranged as 2 sets of 3 and 25* was the 4th mark. I also marked the flywheel at 120* and 240* with different marks. The timing light shows that even though I have spark at all 3 plugs it's only firing once per revolution instead of 3. I have the stator advanced as far as possible in the mounting slots and it's firing at TDC. I've already replaced the Stator and CDI. The stator checks out OK with a OHM meter. Could the flywheel magnets be bad?. Any Suggestions?
    Last edited by brooksrv6; 07-14-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added information

Since all three coils fire at the same time does anyone know what creates the 3 signals to fire per revolution? Does the Flywheel have 3 magnets for the stator trigger, or does the CDI take a signal and provide 3 pulses? I've already replaced the stator and CDI and think one of them could be defective.

+1
    There is an alignment mark on the stator that should be lined up with the case halves. This sets your timing on the 750s. No other tinkering is really needed....

The Stator I installed is aftermarket P/N 3240270. It has no Timing mark on it so I indexed it to match the one removed. I can't get 3,000 RPM out of it running on 1 cylinder to check the timing advance. The main problem appears to be that the coils are only firing once per revolution, instead of 3 times so it only runs on the Mag cylinder. Everything in the Flywheel looks good and I'm wondering if my new CDI is defective.
    Thanks for the input

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brooksrv6 View Post
    The Stator I installed is aftermarket P/N 3240270.
    From where??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brooksrv6 View Post
    It has no Timing mark on it so I indexed it to match the one removed.t
    Sorry, I overlooked that in your first post.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information