Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Question

We have a couple of 2008 SHO's. We had trouble with the batteries, so we took them in for testing at a local Pep Boys. They tested bad, so they sold us two new ones. The new ones are called ProStart. The model number is 16CL-B. They are 12 V batteries. Course, the Pep Boys website has no further information on these batteries, other than they are 12V. By searching the model number, these batteries appears to be somewhat common and sold with various labels. If I an correct, then they are likely 10 Ah batteries.

Neither battery will crank over an engine. On the one ski, pretty much nothing happens - the bilge doesn't even run. On the other, the bilge will run. Battery tester shows a bit over 12 volts on each - and the trickle charger shows a green light to mean it's charged.

Yamaha's manual says "12 V, 19.0 Ah". There is no information about needed cranking amps or cold cranking amps. However, I am guessing that our problem is that these new batteries aren't strong enough. My father - who is more of a scientific type - relates a Ah is a measure of amps per hour. He is a bit skeptical that this is the issue.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Is our issue likely to be that we need 19 Ah batteries, and 10 Ah is not enough?

Many thanks!

+1
    what type of batteries are they? lead acid, agm, gel, ect most cheaper trickle chargers wont recognize the more advanced batteries. but from the sound of it I think you have regular lead acid and the batteries have not been charged/filled correctly ect

Thanks for the quick response!

They are dry charged, lead-acid batteries. Do you think they are under-charged? The battery tester reads around 12.4 on each.

Get a couple of these and be happy for years: http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey...FVNo7AodBxIAjg

Typical resting voltage for a new fully charged battery will be 12.6 volts or higher.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Batteries are shot. Load test them, if you can, with a carbon pile tester at 1/2 the rated CCA and see if they drop below 9.5v then its generaly dead. I bet if you load test them the voltage will drop to dam near 0.

I went Deka AGM in all my powersports stuff. Excellent luck and reliability.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    Get a couple of these and be happy for years: http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey...FVNo7AodBxIAjg

Typical resting voltage for a new fully charged battery will be 12.6 volts or higher.

Ditto. I used to run an Odyssey 625 in my Camaro to save weight (autocross) and it had no problem starting my LT1 V8 in cold weather-amazing battery. I now run one in my FZR.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    these batteries have what is know as the "surface charge"..they show 12v+ ( gee MUST be good) as soon as you ask for any significant amount of power, they fall flat. Just return em. they should just exchange for you, but I'd upgrade to any AGM battery ( prefer the type where you do not have to add the acid yourself. Go with DEKA or any of their OEm versions ( big crank, autozone power start or whatever oriely calls em.

Advance auto has one too..and you can often find some 20% discount codes around.

+1
    I'm looking to replace my factory battery in my 2008 fx sho. Please if you guys can rank what you believe are the best batteries to replace it.

+1
    I am very happy with my pc625 it HAS cold started my v8 truck when my old battery kicked the bucket.

Banned User
    +1
    I had Odyssey batteries, and just bought a Deka AGM. I will continue to buy the Deka batteries. This battery really has a lot of power, seems stronger than my Odyssey batteries ever were.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information