current rev. exhaust filter ?

100 hrs. on my stock exhaust filter. ordered one from gh store just to have on hand. thought the latest rev had bars across it to prevent a broken comb from going into water box ? my stock is one solid comb, the new one from jerry has a 3/4 hole in the middle and no bars ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
    100 hrs. on my stock exhaust filter. ordered one from gh store just to have on hand. thought the latest rev had bars across it to prevent a broken comb from going into water box ? my stock is one solid comb, the new one from jerry has a 3/4 hole in the middle and no bars ?
    Chris; The hole in the filter is supposed to fit on the pin of a bracket fitted in the newer revised head pipe to stop the filter from falling into the exhaust in the event it breaks away from it's frame... haven't seen the new setup yet.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Chris; The hole in the filter is supposed to fit on the pin of a bracket fitted in the newer revised head pipe to stop the filter from falling into the exhaust in the event it breaks away from it's frame... haven't seen the new setup yet.
    Actually I believe the hole in the center of the new Exhaust Filter is to decrease back pressure, and the likelihood of complete clogging of the Media. This should ultimately reduce the pressure on the Media, and thus the possibility of the Media becoming detached, and ultimately lodged in the Water Box of the pre-2013 Ultra 300X machines. Hopefully increasing the overall life of the new Exhaust Filter! The later model 2013's have a horizontal Pin in the Down Pipe which is expected to catch a detached Media before it finds its way into the Water Box... The new Exhaust Filter is a direct replacement for the old Exhaust Filter across all years. I personally believe the hole is to accommodate the older (pre-2013) machines in an effort to decrease the detaching Media lodged in the Water Box issue.

That's my humble opinion! (SMILE)

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jones View Post
    Actually I believe the hole in the center of the new Exhaust Filter is to decrease back pressure, and the likelihood of complete clogging of the Media. This should ultimately reduce the pressure on the Media, and thus the possibility of the Media becoming detached, and ultimately lodged in the Water Box of the pre-2013 Ultra 300X machines. Hopefully increasing the overall life of the new Exhaust Filter! The later model 2013's have a horizontal Pin in the Down Pipe which is expected to catch a detached Media before it finds its way into the Water Box... The new Exhaust Filter is a direct replacement for the old Exhaust Filter across all years. I personally believe the hole is to accommodate the older (pre-2013) machines in an effort to decrease the detaching Media lodged in the Water Box issue.

That's my humble opinion! (SMILE)
    That makes sense. I was told the hole was for a mounting pin, but have had trouble envisioning that without big exhaust restrictions.

The current parts diagrams don't seem to show the new retention pin...

Problem is that the hole is going to allow more moisture through the filter...

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I run it for the first time the other day. No issues with moisture so far. For the record, it's immediately obvious to me when the filter is not there. The slight splutter on start is a dead giveaway. It hasn't happened with the new filter (yet).

Thanks guys, my stock filter is still going strong , wanted to have a replacement on hand just in case and see it was not what I was expecting.

Thread Information