Thread: Newbie

Just wanted to pass on some information on a 2004 12x I recently purchased. The former owner advertised it with throwing codes and running in limp mode, so he was up front and let it go for an unbelievably low price of 2500. After reading for hours on here, I decided to roll the dice. With the help of this site and Brian down in Florida it turned out it was the the pcm. So I replaced it, along with new plugs and away it went. However, it would only rev 5500rpm. Turns out it was the wgs, but not what you'd think. I took it apart (easy) and found little pieces of rust flakes plugging up the center hole. I clean it out, lubricated the plunger, and put it back together. The test run went great, 6-6100 rpm. I went for a another lengthy ride and it shortly went into limp mode with code 45. The WGS was plugged again with rust flakes. I disassembled, cleaned and pulled all the vacuum lines and blew them out. Been running it for about 4 hours now pretty hard and no more rust. Other than that pretty happy with it. All the nozzle nylon bushings are warn which makes it a little annoying to keep from "flopping" side to side; I've ordered everything I need to tighten it back up.

Frederick, MD
    Brian is a great guy. He is extremely knowledgeable and has saved me hours of work from his advice.

Palm Harbor
    great buy. Post some pics!!

brian is great

So, basically a 2004 ski with a bad wastegate actuator and ECM, and some other maintenance parts that need replacing. That makes the cost more like $3600+, which is not really an AMAZING deal on the ski. I'm having no luck selling my spotless 2006 F-12X asking $4500, but turned down a couple different offers for $3500 (no thanks, I'll just keep it).

I see quite a few skis for sale around FL that would probably run fine with a new ECM according to the seller's description of limp mode, but when you add the cost of $900 ECM, and the fact that the ski has probably been neglected and looks terrible now because it stopped running, they just are not worth the asking price plus those costs. They are actually worth more in parts if you have the time and space to part them out.

I still don't understand how anyone considers these very reliable. Anytime a part is expected to fail, especially one that coat $1000, to me that's not reliable. If its not that its the wgs sticking. If not that its the wgs sticking. These should be considered 100% reliable 80% of the time I think

Currituck, North Carolina, United States
    They sell reasonable priced wastegate assy on eBay, a ECU there too just make sure there is a return policy on the computer

Thread Information