95 900 zxi rebuild help

whats up everyone im looking for advice on rebuilding the top end on my ski i did a compression test and the rear cylinder read 20 I have taken the engine out just curious if i should just buy a top end rebuild kit rebuild it and put the engine back in or should i go deeper into it anyone with advice or past experience with this with input i would appreciate your input thanks.

+1
    First, determine what happened. Did an oil line fail? Carb get plugged? Did a ring catch on a port? You need to find out what happened and the extent of the damage before ordering parts.

I prefer OEM parts for my good 'Skis, I use the aftermarket top end kits for the 750s, but that's just me.

+1
    Might want to hold off on ordering parts until you see how much damage is there so you will know whether you need oversize pistons or not. If the cylinder wall is scored badly then the machine shop will need the oversize pistons to match up to the cylinders when they bore them out.

+1
    Just noticed you have a 95 model, that's 18 years old. Soooo...while you have the engine out going through it, it's definitely time, actually way past time to replace the crank seals.

ok thanks guys at this point ive pretty much just gutted the hull so my next step will be to start thing taking things apart and try and find out whats causing the issue so ill keep you guys posted and thanks for the input

hey guys i figured id add that the last time i had it out i was riding no problems then the ski just bogged down and would only run about 15 20 mph wide open and thats how i ended up here if that could help narrow down the potential problem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 900 zxi View Post
    i did a compression test and the rear cylinder read 20
    That's why it bogged down.

As mentioned before, you need to determine what caused that cylinder to fail.

this is the rear cylinder the wall has been scratched but barely no deep than the thickness of your finger nail just enough to tell when you run your finger across it the other two are fine now as far as determining what caused the cylinder to fail any suggestions on how to go about figuring it out thanks for the help

+1
    Looks like a piston ring got caught in a port and broke. It happens then you get in the 200 hour range. How many hours on this one?

Check to make sure the oil line is still attached and has oil in it (probably a good time to replace them, anyway). What color is the spark plug?

Thread Information