2002 virage low oil light/ eng hours advanced?

Took off across the water, made a quick turn, got a red light on the display, said eng oil low, the tank is 3/4 full, looked at the parts diagram, seen where oil sending unit was, is it worth fixing? would it be wise to disable warning? And just visually check oil capacity? Also on the display, the hours on Eng advanced to 543hr's? which when I bought it, it said 8.5 hrs, put 40 hrs on it last summer, when I had it serviced, was reading zero hrs, mechanic that serviced ski, said their was 80 hrs on it from reading the codes? Do the eng hrs go to zero, when codes are read? Other than that, ski runs fine? lol am I getting a welcome to Jetski ownership?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is a fuel injected engine, correct?

Sometimes the hour counter in the MFI display will spontaneously reset to zero. Usually happens when the battery is being reconnected and the battery connection gets bounced multiple times against the battery post.

I have also seen the MFI hour count jump to 533 hours. I suspect this is related to the battery voltage slowly declining during extended storage and the voltage sags into a level where the display's internal computer goes slightly crazy.

Make sure the oil level sender plug is tightly held in the oil tank neck. If the sender is bouncing out of the tank not only will the level signal be incorrect but you will also have oil splashing into the hull.

Yes, its is fuel injected, will check sender plug for security, voltage has been over 12 volts, every weekend, will check make sure battery post' are secure too, did have some oil leakage in hull, started just before it went to shop, for replacement of fuel pump, no oil leakage detected when I got ski back from shop. Thanks for your info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elk river rascal View Post
    Yes, its is fuel injected, will check sender plug for security, voltage has been over 12 volts, every weekend, will check make sure battery post' are secure too, did have some oil leakage in hull, started just before it went to shop, for replacement of fuel pump, no oil leakage detected when I got ski back from shop. Thanks for your info
    To get at the fuel pump the oil tank has to be moved aside to allow the fuel tank to slide forward.

Recheck the oil sender wires and connector for solid and clean connection, no wire damage.

And make sure the oil sender plug is snug. Sometimes the oil level sender needs an o-ring and/or a thin band gear clamp to keep it in place and leak proof.

Banned User
    +1
    Just for information, on my MSX, My oil gauge will show empty even though the tank appears half full. I added a half gallon of oil tonight and it now shows full again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Just for information, on my MSX, My oil gauge will show empty even though the tank appears half full. I added a half gallon of oil tonight and it now shows full again.
    The Virage and MSX (and probably the Genesis) have a very long and narrow oil tank. The oil sender is near the rear end of the oil tank.

Even a small change in hull angle will affect the amount of oil near the sender end of the tank. Nose down can really lower the oil reading.

The oil sender only works in 1/4 tank increments;
    Empty and one quarter level, both will flash the Low Oil warning. Next sender level up is 1/2 full.

I just keep the tank more than 1/2 full and eyeball it each before each days riding.

Thread Information