Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Clean your skis! Especially the engine!

Went riding and came upon Yamaha FX cruiser ski/rider, well we went into shore for me to explain what to do about the intake/ribbon delete/air cleaner for him to get a little more punch. I opened up the seat and was stunned at how bad it looked! It is a brand new ski! A left-over 2012 he bought in January and I swear it looked like it had been NEVER cleaned inside the hull! There was corrosion on all the metal parts surrounding the cover and corrosion from saltwater was on everything!

He took it for the 10 hour in February but has not done any type of fresh water cleaning in the hull. It was horrible, if I could have taken a picture you'd swear it had been sunk and left to rot. This is almost a brand new ski. So, before I even begin to talk about mods I asked him had he ever washed it down...no. I asked why and he said no one told him to...doh! Not even the dealer? Nope..he just puts gas in it and runs it. He's got over 40 hours on it and rides it 2 or 3 times a week, he says. He thought that since it's a 4 stroke he never has to worry about anything.

Ok, the 4 stroke is light years ahead of the maintenance aspect pitted against a 2 stroke...but to never wash it down or spray silicone inside the hull especially in salt water! DUmb...Dumb, dumb. Make sure you salt water guys take a few minutes after you ride and wash the inside of the hull, the engine all the hoses and clamps..then if you have compressed air blow the excess off and then spray a good protectant inside...like $2 Walmart silicone canned spray. Good gracious! And he does occasionally put it on the hose and I asked didn't he see all the corrosion and he said he didn't think it was hurting it!

Blah!! Rant over.

+1
    I'm glad you brought this topic up Pistonwash.
    Anyone out there washing the 66V engine and if so what special precautions do you take with the carbs sitting so low in the hull? Do you just hose everything down, dump a bucket full of dish detergent into your hull, take a drive to slosh around then drain and blow dry? Then spray entire engine with fluid film?
    I have searched on this topic but didn't find anything specific to the 2000/2001 1200 GPR or XLT platforms.

+1
    On the 66v or any engine for that matter, just be careful not to shoot water directly into any induction, carbs or air boxes. If I knew if I were riding for an all day deal, I would put dishwashing powder in the hull right below the coupler and just ride like that. Get home and wash the engine compartment and tilt the ski upwards and drain. Be careful and aware of your rideplate hitting the driveway. Let the ski air dry or use compressed air to blow off excess. The water won't hurt the heads, exhaust hoses or whatever you spray it on. Be careful NOT to power spray the electrical box either, it can get wet just don't crazy shooting it down. Water hose the pump area too..spraying everything metal, steering cables, rideplate etc..I spray silicone on the engine and pump area, anything that has contact with water..main principle is to get everything dry. It doesn't take 10 minutes to do it correctly and do it after every ride in the salt. And of course always run it on the hose for 2 to 3 minutes..then turning water off and giving one last throttle burb to blow out the waterbox. Hope that helps...if I've missed anything hopefully others will jump in.

+1
    Pistonwash, you may have saved this guy a shit load $$, most certainly he was headed for some serious issues. Foe some reason ... I find a great deal of weekend riders that just gas & go. They spend the big bucks for a fast & trouble-free ski ... but later get upset when their dealer hits them with a big service bill for non-covered work ... due to lack of general maintenance. So my hats off to ya. These skis weather old 2-strokes or big buck 4 bangers with all the bells ... need TLC

+1
    Wow. Using an excuse that the dealer didn't tell him is lame. And I'm sure the dealer would have given him the manual for him to read.

+1
    From day 1 I soaked mine with silicon spray. 2 years old now and still looks better then new. I do the same on my Triumph Scrambler.

+1
    How often would you wash if you are only a fresh water runner?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkyamaha View Post
    How often would you wash if you are only a fresh water runner?
    I have never 'washed' my engines in over 200 hours and they still look brand new.
    But salt water, that's a different story; you simply cannot ignore flushing and proper cleaning of any engine in marine use; it's a recipe for disaster. My Yamaha outboard gets flushed, cleaned and sprayed down after every dive trip to the ocean.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Not everyone that buys a ski is mechanically inclined or knows about GH. The dealership promotes 4 stroke skis as near problem free or hassle free except for their scheduled maintenance... Suprize... done by them at a premium. Not every pwc rider is a pwc tech. Most guys who hang around GH for some time with their service manual arguably know as much if not more about their ski as some techs.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Not everyone that buys a ski is mechanically inclined or knows about GH. The dealership promotes 4 stroke skis as near problem free or hassle free except for their scheduled maintenance... Suprize... done by them at a premium. Not every pwc rider is a pwc tech. Most guys who hang around GH for some time with their service manual arguably know as much if not more about their ski as some techs.
    Yup...my whole rant is to shake the trees if someone is being lazy riding in saltwater..I had a pm asking how long can you ride then let it sit? I said, I don't care if you're riding the next day...salt can start corrosion within hours, especially the non-alum, non-stainless metals. I have seen hose clamps direct for Yamaha that were just a pot metal or iron material and I though how stupid could they be to forget their long standing principle of protect the engine? They used sacrificial metals within the water internals of the engine plusthey used non-corroding type of materials for putting everything else together. But even on my FZ there are hose clamps that I replaced because they were not friendly with saltwater.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information