Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RXP Pump bearing destroyed ---> anything else to replace?

Hey so yesterday my OEM style pump bearing (2.5yrs old) completely fell apart after an hour of hard runs. My question is, when they are run like that until they fall apart, is anything in the pump that's also damaged (besides the impeller)? I'm looking in there but with all the grease and debris I cant quite tell if there's anything else I'd need to replace. Gonna clean it out later today and see what I can see. 2.5yrs ago I caught the bearing early just before it fell apart on me....this one got away from me since I didn't hear the noise this time on the trailer So, my 15/20 took a hit along with the bearing. Thanks!

+1
    How many hours before it emploded?

I really don't know the hours at all on this bearing if that's what you're specifically asking. I just know this Sept would make it 3yrs old, and I ride mostly all year. I don't mind replacing an $80 or whatever bearing every 2.5yrs but I just thought i'd check if they ruin the pump at all by going to total failure like this.
    Damn, the last one really sang to me on the trailer...this one kinda snuck up on me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I really don't know the hours at all on this bearing if that's what you're specifically asking. I just know this Sept would make it 3yrs old, and I ride mostly all year. I don't mind replacing an $80 or whatever bearing every 2.5yrs but I just thought i'd check if they ruin the pump at all by going to total failure like this.
    Damn, the last one really sang to me on the trailer...this one kinda snuck up on me

How's the impeller shaft?

I can't seem to get the impeller shaft out. I removed the C-clip but the internals still aren't coming out. I know there's still some "debris" in there from the bearing and what all else that got eaten up. Just can't get the shaft out. But, I cleaned it out some and I can see that I bitched up the inside of the pump ("impeller housing"). I'm shopping for used pumps now since it looks like I'll likely need one

Are the RXP pumps the same as RXT pumps? Any mechanical differences between years (04-07 I suppose)?

Banned User
    +1
    Can you post up some pics? When do ther recommend you change the bearing?

I think your trying the wrong end, the bearing and shaft push out the back of the pump, the c-clip holds the seals in unless someone put an earlier pump in it with the c-clip on the back. press it out by pushing the seal bush as well so it removes the outer shell with it

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    I think your trying the wrong end

This guy really needs to just pay someone who actually knows what they're doing to work on his ski!

I think your trying the wrong end, the bearing and shaft push out the back of the pump, the c-clip holds the seals in unless someone put an earlier pump in it with the c-clip on the back. press it out by pushing the seal bush as well so it removes the outer shell with it
    Oh I hear ya, but it's no biggie....its all jacked and bound up in there one way or the other. No sense in fighting it; I was really just putting feelers out and looking for experienced feedback of a bearing run all to shit (moral support I guess, haha). Wasn't actually trying to fix anything earlier; just get a better peek at it all.
    And as mentioned, I cleaned out more of the grease and filth earlier and saw that my pump looks banged up So, the pump's gotta get replaced anyway. From what little I could see without good light, it doesn't look like a new bearing kit will even make it in there. Thanks for the post all the same!
    Last edited by blkturbo!; 07-08-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    I think your trying the wrong end

This guy really needs to just pay someone who actually knows what they're doing to work on his ski!
    Why's that? No, I've never tried to disassemble my pump's bearing assembly before, but why not at least take a peek and learn a little on a unit that's FUBAR anyway? I don't believe I'm any different in that regard to anyone else in this entire forums. I have the money, but you'll never catch me at any dealership until I'm out of options, in a hurry for repair or just feeling plain lazy.

Totally off my own topic, but relative here:
    By the way, I've never once in my life claimed to be any sort of master mechanic, and I don't think I implied it here in this thread. So, as far as talking shit on someone's personal capabilities with their own two hands....can you disassemble your car (every panel, every plastic and rubber piece), perform absolute 100% perfect bodywork that most people even wish they could PAY for, color-change it, sand n buff it beyond most tech's bother or even ability, allowing zero hint of prep scratches underneath, reassemble it yourself/by yourself, all with only your own two hands, while maintaining such attention to detail? Most likely not, since you're obviously too busy being your own seadoo master mechanic.
    While I was playing backyard mechanic in the late 80's and 90's on a bunch of shit I don't want to bore you with, I was busy working professionally in bodyshops with my obsession to detail for over 8yrs before going back to school. But hey, this is all in good fun around here, right?

And when my first pump bearing nearly went all to shit, yea, I promptly dropped it off to the local dealership (who employs a total cock behind the parts counter) because I needed it back within a few days and because I'm not a seadoo master-mechanic greenhulk member with a bunch of fancy equipment and bearing presses in my personal garage. So, I missed my chance to learn on that go-round before the bearing ate the shit out of everything as with the other day.

I apologize if I'm boring you in my quest for any help in this public seadoo forums....a place where everyone in here is doing the exact same thing on any one level or another

Edit: What I "really need to do" is just get this pump back in and continue enjoying my 81+ mph superman passes (like the morning of this bearing failure) and continue pissing some of you guys off
    Last edited by blkturbo!; 07-08-2013 at 03:13 AM.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information