Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2002 polaris freedom no fire on brown wire wile crancking on cdi

trouble shooting no fire to spark plugs install new battery on 7/5/13 fri. in a hurry to get a good spot at the lake then i hooked battery backwards heard bilge turn on by it self looked again then i spotted what i did five or so min. later.took home from shop started after a while ran for 1hr. with water kit never sounded good like it was bogging with acc. turn off never started again no lake trip for the 4th.looked at k447 comments found out that the brown wire coming out off the cdi sends 8 to 9v while cranking i get zero with or with out lanyard i see only 2.0 after i stop cranking. do i need new cdi or something else i can track down to repair
    Last edited by Ynot63; 07-07-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: wrong date

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you are not getting proper voltage on the Brown wire from the CDI, and the CDI is getting full battery voltage on the Red/Purple wirewhile cranking, then you need a new CDI.

Does holding down the bilge button cause the bilge pump to run? Try holding it down while cranking to force power to the CDI.

You can also bypass the LR Start/Stop module to see if that module is causing trouble.

thanks for reply k447.bilge pump working fine,already tried bilge start,and start.no spark.but i notice with multimeter on plugs there is a small like 2volts when i let go start button,with bilge start and start.will try red/purple after work today.down loaded repair manual yesterday.start and stop button had 8.2 ohms when tested unplug,is called for .3 ohms, replace,replace,replace,book said if more then .3 ohms took start button apart two springs metal plate clean all contacts like the old point trick lol,tested only .2 ohms now.repair,repair,repair lmbo. no spark still.how do you bypass start and stop module???
    Last edited by Ynot63; 07-08-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo

+1
    Search for LR-505 in my post titles.

plugged cdi/magneto connector tried red/purple that turns orange test batt at 10.70 while cranking red/purple 10.40 while cranking.tested LR-505 unplugged all wires only one black from outside coming direction of coil stayed in terminals. connected.blk/white to( black--purple/white--black terminals) connected lanyard connected red/purple that turns orange from cdi to purple terminals. no juice at switch just bilge pump turn on. moved black/white wire to terminal where the LR-505 black wire was connected same results no fire at start/stop switch just bilge pump worked.plugged all wires back cdi test red/purple turns orange same result 10.40

+1
    10.4 volts at the CDI is simply too little.

Sounds like your battery needs charging or is internally weak.

A strong battery will deliver around 11.0 volts, or more, while cranking.

I recommend the Deka ETX16LM battery. It is a factory sealed AGM type, excellent choice for watercraft.

thanks will order one. charge napa batt. still only 10.7 at crank and the same 10.4 at cdi also order plug wire set from jcwhitney. new plugs njk's, i'll get back as soon as parts come in. 5-10 days glad your taking time to help me. POLARIS KICKS BUTT EVEN IF THEY DONT MAKE PWC ANYMORE BOUGHT THIS FREEDOM IN A CRATE HAS ONLY 90HRS. SINCE 2003 AND STILL LOVE THE POWER IT GIVES OUT IN THE WATER

+1
    JC Whitney sells watercraft ignition cables?

yes taylor spiro-pro universal not assemble the end clips to coil look the same +hp to plugs up to 10x less resistance they claim. product #19787g lime green lol will let you know when i get them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot63 View Post
    yes taylor spiro-pro universal not assemble the end clips to coil look the same

+hp to plugs up to 10x less resistance they claim.

product #19787g lime green lol will let you know when i get them
    Do you know what the OEM specification is for spark plug wire resistance on your engine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information