+1

how long does it take for rings to seat

Here is my problem I replaced the pistons and rings on my gp1200r. It has about 2 hours on it since I replaced them and compression is only 90-100 on all three. I am running riva heads and compression is suppose to be about 150. I am also only getting about 5900-6000 rpm out of it.

+1
    Assumeing you have stock nicasil cylinders and are using Yamalube, it should take about 10 hrs. The nicasil is very hard and is why it takes so long. If you use a full synthetic oil it may take longer.

Is that a high quality gauge that you are using? Are your valves closed, battery fully charged, throttle wide open? The numbers that you have are consistent (relatively close) but are low. You might gain an extra few lbs when it seats (example from 144 to 150), but not and extra 50 psig, like what you are looking for.

If the gauge is of high quality and accurate, and your methodology of testing is accurate, then the numbers that you have tell me something else is wrong.

+1
    The gauge is from advance auto so it is not the best. Had the throttle open not sure on power valve did not disconnect them

Oh and when I replaced the pistons I pressure tested the motor and it dropped .25 psi over 6 minutes
    Rear

Middle

Front

This is how it was running on hose
    Last edited by 992door; 07-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.

+1
    When you put it back together, get with a mechanic buddy of yours that has a high quality gauge like Snap-On or Proto to check the pressure. This will satisfy your troubled mind. It really does not sound like you have a pressure problem. The numbers that you got are so close to each other, even though they are off.

Did the valves ever open like they were supposed to? That could explain your rpms.

+1
    Its back together just need to find someone with a good gauge. That is kinda what I was thinking maybe a bad gauge. Really not sure on powervalves

+1
    Unless those valves open, you will never get the love you are looking for.

Do a search on the power valves and read up on how they are supposed to cycle open, then closed when you kill the engine. Find out how to disconnect them from the cables, and how you can manipulate them manually to find your rpms. In other words, read up on how the valves are supposed to work, then check to see if yours are doing what they are supposed to do. It could be something like your servo motor not opening and closing the valves, but honestly, there is just not enough information to say for sure.

This forum has unbelieveable information on how these components are supposed to work. Take advantage of it and good luck.

Thread Information