+1

2001 Polaris Virage 700cc - Back to Life.

Found a great deal on a 2001 Polaris Virage on eBay for $390.00. It was advertised with a crack in the hull approximately 24" long but claimed the motor ran so I bought it for parts. When I got it home, I was surprised that the engine sounded great and the ski looked pretty decent all cleaned up. I discovered that there were actually 2 - length long cracks that seemed to follow the ribs on the hull. One side was all the way through and the other side seemed to just be cracked.

I did weeks of video's on "how to" fiberglass repair and decided to see if it could be fixed by a shade tree mechanic. I purchased the supplies and gave it a try spending several weeks on the applying and sanding of fiberglass.

Proud to say that I was able to take it out last Wednesday and it ran/rode perfectly. No leaks or problems from that ski through out the full day.

I write this to say, don't give up on those old ski's that seem unloved. Sometimes a little elbow grease and touch of youtube can accomplish great rewards!

(I will be posting pic's at a later time)

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-15_16-32-08_102.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	305907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	305908

Here some pic's of the damage and repair.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Nice! Glad to see you keep it alive!

Banned User
    +1
    Did you use epoxy resin for the repair?

+1
    I used West Systems Resin with both CSM and Woven fiberglass. I then used fairing with several coats of Sea Hawk Premium Marine Gel Coat.

Its not perfect as I am no professional, but it looks good enough for the girls I hang with.

Thanks!

Brad

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Policeman View Post
    I used West Systems Resin with both CSM and Woven fiberglass. I then used fairing with several coats of Sea Hawk Premium Marine Gel Coat.

Its not perfect as I am no professional, but it looks good enough for the girls I hang with.

Thanks!

Brad
    Perfect!!!! Just wanted to be sure you used the right stuff. Any polyester will not adhere to the SMC hulls.

+1
    Thanks Bryan. I didn't really know better, as I was directed to use that brand and type. Its good to have knowledgeable friends around to help out when your over your head!

BTW - You do have quite the collection!!

Brad

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... applying and sanding of fiberglass.

Proud to say that I was able to take it out last Wednesday and it ran/rode perfectly. No leaks or problems from that ski through out the full day.

I write this to say, don't give up on those old ski's that seem unloved. Sometimes a little elbow grease and touch of youtube can accomplish great rewards! ...

Virage hull is made of SMC molded material, not fiberglass.

As Bryan pointed out, epoxy resin is the appropriate repair material for SMC.

The Virage hull is prone to cracking the reinforcing ribs around and just forward of the front engine mounts. Hairline rib cracks are not a worry, but large chunks of ribs missing is.

+1
    I was not aware that the material was other then fiberglass. That explains why the material chipped out so easily. I have some hairline cracks on the top of the ski as well but I assumed they must have hit something really hard to cause all those cracks.

I was told by the previous owner that they took it out and the hull started filling with water. They returned it to the trailer before it could fill up to the engine. The owner then took it to a boat guy who was going to charge him a grand to fix just the one side. The owner gave up on the ski and put it on eBay at a hundred dollars.

Do you believe that the Gel coating will help decrease the chance of further cracking? Hate hearing that its a flaw in the material used.

Brad

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... Hate hearing that its a flaw in the material used...
    Bernie might disagree, but the SMC Virage hull is quite tough overall. My own Virage TXi has pounded across countless waves at wide open speeds. Sometimes I have come down with a tremendous wallop when I mis-judged or mis-timed a wave. No issues to date.

My post was simply to point you towards the areas where excess hull stress would most likely appear, if it were occurring.

The SMC molding process is what allows the Virage hull interior to be a smooth surface with molded ribs.

Polaris did use traditional fiberglass hulls on some models, SMC hulls on others, and a combination of the upper deck + hull combo on certain models.

Thread Information