Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile March Issue Of Watercraft World 250x Octane Update!

For your information...............this month's Watercraft World has a "CLARIFICATION" on page 10. It states that it was reported that the 250x would need 87 octane fuel as reported in the January 07 issue.

Now they say that Kawasaki has done further testing on the new 250-hp model, and it requires 92 octane fuel to be used in the boat. It also says the owner's will see the requirement in the owner's manual and on a sticker next to the fuel fill.

That is funny...........mine says 90 octane just like everyone else's............lol..........

I for one minute, can't imagine having a new high performance supercharged engine that is already stressed plenty enough................NOT RUNNING PREMIUM FUEL.............of course that is my personal opinion and I am sticking to it!

David

LET THE POST BEGIN!

Mine also says 90, just like everyone elses. I have been running 93.

It's a high performance toy....... use Super Unleaded! I have the Ultra 250X and a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle, BOTH require 90 octane. By accident I put 87 in my bike and it knocked like crazy so I pulled into the very next station and added octane boost. As high reving as these engines are.... use the best!! If we can afford the Ultra 250X we can afford the premium!! Well, ok, we COULD have afforded it BEFORE you bought the 250!!! LOL

Firefighter, what kind of octane boost did you use that worked? The reason I ask is that I will keep some on my ski to use for emergency when I am at one end of the lake and there is no 90 or better available. Did the one you bought really work, I am leary of some of the snake oil advertising.

super 104 works good

I live in bermuda we do not have 90 octane gas I think we only got 87

That little can of octane boost is a waste of money and space to carry. It will only raise the octane of 10 gallons by something like 0.1 (don't remember the exact numbers). Basically if you buy 89 octane and add one can of the off-the-shelf octane booster, you end up with 89.1 or 89.2 octane. I'll post a recipe real octane booster next.

make your own octane boost

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST
    How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):
    100 oz of toulene for octane boost
    25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
    3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

For larger batches; assume a half tank = 10 gal. of gas. Add one gallon
    of additive for an approx. 10% mix, 2 gal. for a 20% mix and 3 gal. for a 30% mix. See
    following formulas.

FORMULA 1
    Toulene
    R+M/2...114
    Cost...$2.50/gal
    Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
    10%...94.2 Octane
    20%...96.4 Octane
    30%...98.6 Octane
    Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

FORMULA 2
    Xylene
    R+M/2...117
    Cost...$2.75/gal
    Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
    10%...94.5 Octane
    20%...97.0 Octane
    30%...99.5 Octane
    Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

Note: prices have changed since this was calculated and Toulene is regulated and it's bad stuff.

Arrow Octane Booster Brand Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    ... what kind of octane boost did you use that worked? The reason I ask is that I will keep some on my ski to use for emergency when I am at one end of the lake and there is no 90 or better available. Did the one you bought really work, I am leary of some of the snake oil advertising.
    Octane Booster
    Quote: Originally Posted by tomgtv
    Has anyone ever heard or used these Dynotab Octane boosters?
    Supposedly there big in Japan and in high end exoctic car circles.
    http://www.dynotab.com/faq.htm

Great Post Tom, Thanks.

Here is a chart from the Dayno-Tab website comparing the different brands of Octane Booster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OctaneBoosterCompared.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	18058  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information