+1

Exclamation 99 sltx , cutting out or skipping , and scream/squeal when trying to take off

hello been reading this forum hard for the past few days , just picked up a 1999 Polaris sltx 1050 , super clean , all stock , 150hours, all original no updates, took the ski out after trading for it , started right up with choke on, idled out, took off kinda fast seem powerful , then it started cutting out not realy cut out but would not rev u p felt like maybe a cylinder cutting ion and out , felt like I had to keep it rev'd up in a power band, but would never go faster then 34, or 31mph with 2 people,. so I rode it easy thought maybe carbs needed to blow it out, lol could this be the ignition up date needing to be done? also 45 minutes later I noticed few times ealier in the day, it seamed like it didn't wanna take off, and had just a lil vibration might have been normal vibration, but tried taking off from idle rev'd up kinda few thousand rpm's then made loud squeal kinda then started to blow water out barley got it to plain bogging or cutting out drive line dragging or something , lol and made it back to shore 25mph again , lol so do I need a drive line rebuild kit maybe wear ring impeller new coupler the cdi update kit and a carb clean and I have a spare starter solenoid , lol thx for all the info

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The key with these old watercraft is to NOT ride them right away. First thing is to inspect, repair, and update as needed. Guaranteed there are things that need attention, regardless of how clean it appears.

Start with my signature links.

Sounds like the jet pump needs rebuilding. Very likely the fuel system also needs work.

+1
    thx

ive been reading the links like crazy very good info ,

the guy told me the ski ran perfect so I took it out, and not to good, lol so now im back to the drawling board, ordered a shop Polaris manual to

also he told me the hour meter resets itself when the battery dies, the meter only has 60 hours on it , does that happen ,

also would u do the ignition up date kit or do the carb , jet pump, rebuild first then take it out ,

thanks for the help,

other thing I wanted to ask could the motor carbs ignition be fine just the jet pump and drive system was hanging up and making the motor act funny is that possible , thx again

+1
    No point in guessing what is causing which symptoms.

Be methodical. Work through the known issues, fix what needs fixing. Pull the jet pump and see what you have.

Inspect the things that should be inspected.

Clean and properly rebuild the common maintenance items, like the carbs and fuel hoses, fuel selector valve.

As you start working on it and see how the various components work together, you will be able to tell what is not quite right, what hasn't been looked at (yet).

+1
    sounds good, also I just lubed the bolts holding jet pump on , to help come out easier last question I seen thick grey caulk holding housing on , does that section sstay there or is there the part we break lose with a 2x6 , and ill need sum new marine caulk is that what that is?

sorry new to jet skis thanks

+1
    Find the video links from the Jet Pump Technical thread. Shows you how to remove a jet pump.

Pump base with sealant stays in place.

+1
    got it , awesome thx !

Thread Information