'95 SLT750 Won't Turnover

It's July and I haven't looked at this problem since lastfall. Hope everyone can help me narrow this down quickly. Haven't had time to work on or ride as we sold, bought, moved houses in the last two months. Last fall I was getting ready to winterize my SLT750 and I thought I would fire it up and run it one last time for a 30 second shot. I had ridden it without problems earlier in the week and five hours total for the season after replacing the entire fuel system and drive shaft. While riding it the last couple of times it seemed as it was starting harder than earlier in the season. When I went to start it before winterizing, it wouldn't start. Turned over and over andover etc. Finally it quit turning over. I started hearing aclicking from the CDI box every time I pushed on the start button. I knewit wasn't the battery as it was new spring of 2012 and I just used it to startmy 1050 yesterday 7/6/13. I checked the ground to the bed plate multipletimes and cleaned(wire wheel) and reconnected. Still clicking. Pulled the starter to check and didn't have luck in my garage(sparks and filledmy pants). Took it to Auto Zone. Kid said it was Ok. He sethis machine up to tell it the starter was from a '50s Chevy pick-up because ofthe single post. I heard and saw it engage. No load, butturned. Compression averages 129 across all three cylinders at the start of last season. Ski ran great when on the lakes. Again, I was just turning it over in the garage, it wouldn't fire at all and after turning over for a significant amount of time it quit turning over and now I have a click from the CDI box every time I push the start button.
    Here are my next steps:
    1. Tomorrow take starter to local Kawasaki/JetSki shop to test starter again and verify.
    2. Double check to see if I can get engine to turn over by hand. If locked up maybe the bendix? something else?
    What other things should I look at? Other suggestions? Anyone had this same thing happen?

+1
    See if you can turn over by hand first with plugs out, then with plugs in.

When my bendix failed, the starter motor spun freely, it did not lock up - not that a failed bendix wouldn't lock the motor up.

Engine turns freely with plugs out. Not so much with plugs in. Starter would not spin at the Kawasaki dealer off a jump box. New starter ordered and should be here tomorrow! Once the starter is in I will need to figure out the not starting/hard starting issue.

1. Unhook Positive cable at battery
    2. Open Black box (Where you hear clicking)
    3. Clean and Tighten both red cables inside there

If after doing those steps and still doesn't work Do this to rule 100% its a starter solenoid (See picture attached) Be very carefule with black box open, hook positive cable up to battery and touch a jummper inbetween terminal posts, it the starter spins by touching jumper .... Its 100% a starter solenoid

Again be VERY CAREFUL with box open (put towel or something non conductive over top of battery posts)

1 picture showing jumper, other picture showing actual part.

Hopefully it'll be dirty/loose connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1560_resized.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	306182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51hihqj9P8L__SY300_.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	306183

Jump it with heavy gauge wire or you will burn your self or start a fire. Lot's of amps there.

I should have mentioned that I did jump the relay and the starter would not turn. Installed a new starter last night. Turns over nicely. Will not fire. I have weak spark. will try to figure that tonight.

I hate to admit this, but I'm that guy..... Didn't use the lanyard last night. Weird, it fired up today without hesitation. weak spark=no lanyard. New plugs did the trick. Had plugs in the ski from when I bought. Not sure how long the ski sat before I got it running again. Anywhooo I will be on the water this weekend! Whooooohoooo!

Quote Originally Posted by djmc_72 View Post
    I hate to admit this, but I'm that guy..... Didn't use the lanyard last night. Weird, it fired up today without hesitation. weak spark=no lanyard. New plugs did the trick. Had plugs in the ski from when I bought. Not sure how long the ski sat before I got it running again. Anywhooo I will be on the water this weekend! Whooooohoooo!

Glad to hear everything is working fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by djmc_72 View Post
    No worries, someone has to be that guy...!!!

Thread Information