Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ontario Riding Locations?

I just picked up a 2002 seadoo rx Had her out rippen at my grandmas cottage last week and it was a blast. Im wondering if there are any good rivers or lakes to ride in Ontario (southern Ontario prefferably). I like fast technical riding rather than waves and jumping. If you guys know of any places it would be helpfull to include the best boat launch location also. Thanks.

-Jes

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thread moved to the Canada Rides section.

What do you mean by 'technical riding'?

There are hundreds (at least) of PWC rideable lakes in southern Ontario, plus Lake Ontario (which is a different class of lake).

Where are you located? How far are you willing to drive with a trailer?

Trailer tires and wheel bearings in good condition?

See the Ride for Dad thread for a charity ride coming up this weekend in Perth, Ontario. We will be there.

+1
    Fully agree with K447, any info will help to better answer your question.

From personal experience Lake Ontario is always a blast to ride and can satisfy any type of riding style. Burlington Beach area is a fun ride on weekends as they always have the course set up for the stand up jetski races held there. Near by launches are in Hamilton harbour or Oakville. Toronto Island is a scenic ride as well (I hear you need a special license there). Just gotta watch out tho, the weather conditions on a big lake like that can change in a moment. If you are a new rider, I wouldn't ride out too far on a smaller ski unless you have checked the marine weather forecast.

Other than that everything else is at least 30-45 min drive from Southern Ontario, and options are endless.

Have fun exploring, that's the best part.

+1
    -Otonobee south of Peterborough to Rice Lk, onward to Hastings and Heally Falls is nice.
    -Port severn to Sparrow nice mix of lake and river
    -For a tight technical it doesn't get any better than the Mag river out of Burks Falls to Lk Cecebe, 15 to 20 km of race course fun, watch out for fishin boats though. You can carry on through Cecebe to the locks in Mag town, then do a tour of Ahmic Lk, its a full day and a good one.
    Check out the Intrepid cottager and Seadootours for some more ideas.

another favorite is the Ottawa, an over nighter Pembroke to Mattawa and back. Lower Ottawa is a beauty as well

Quote Originally Posted by Boogzilla View Post
    Toronto Island is a scenic ride as well (I hear you need a special license )
    What license you are talking about..??

+1
    harbour license needed, it is illegal otherwise. not sure how to get one.....anyone??

+1
    Ya, harbour license is definitely needed there. Not sure how to get it either, but I'm sure it's just a Google search away. Apparently u can get away with it once by playing dumb, but they record your info so it won't work again.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    You get it from the Toronto Port Authority. It's $25/year.

http://www.torontoport.com/

Stupid cash grab IMO. I've had mine a few years now and have yet to be stopped and asked for it. However if you don't have one and you're asked, $$$.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Toronto Port Authority Boating Permit and Harbour perimeter extent

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    harbour license needed, it is illegal otherwise. not sure how to get one.....anyone??
    I should point out that the area where the Toronto Harbour Powered Vessel Operator’s Permit is required technically extends a few kilometers outside of the Toronto Islands.

This means if you get stopped by enforcement within that zone, even outside the Islands, you can be fined for not having the permit.

There is a map on their on their web site showing the extent of the Port Authority's territory.

The application form is online, but the major hassle is the in-person test that is required, including an actual on the water man-overboard test.

They used to offer a PWC version of the permit, which limited you to only operating a PWC within the Harbour zone. The full boating permit had the same cost, and the same test, but allows you to operate any type of powered vessel. So you want the boating permit, not the PWC only permit (if they even do that anymore).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yurisdiction.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	323233
    Last edited by K447; 02-17-2014 at 04:06 PM.

+1
    Thanks for the info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information