Wiring issue on a 1996 780 Fuji engine.

Hi guys. Here is my question. Last fall i bought a 1997 or so, may be a 96 or 98, Polaris sl 750 jet ski. I'm not sure on the year, and i haven't been able to dig out the new title for it, and due to moving, and selling and buying new vehicles, i cant find the registration either, but anyway here goes. I searched for quite awhile on the forums for this, and nothing i found showed an answer to my question. When i bought the jet ski last year, it wouldn't start, so the guy gave it to me for what i thought was a very good price at the time, but then, we bought a house, and had some other issues, and i havent gotten back to it until a few days ago, and here is what i found. There is a red and a black wire coming out of the box that all the electronics and ignition wires go into, that is covered with a gray casing, that both wires are just cut and wrapped together, with no tape or anything on them, and i am trying to figure out what those two wires go to, so i am trying to find a diagram that shows those two wires. i searched on here, but none of the diagrams i saw showed those two wires. I know they don't go to the battery, solenoid, or starter, because it will crank over, but it wont start, so i was wondering if anyone had a diagram showing where those wires go. My other question is, in front of the engine, and behind the gas tank, there is a rubber, or vinyl hose, with what looks like, and the best way i can describe it, is a briggs riding mower fuel filter, but, there is nothing connected to the other end, so im wondering if that is a fuel vent, or is it supposed to be connected to something? I attached a pic of the piece at the end of that hose. The engine in the ski is the fuli blue engine, if that makes a difference. I know that i should check to make sure it is getting fuel and spark first, but, i would rather figure out where those wires go, and make sure it wont be an issue if it does start, before i start checking other stuff. I tend to be a bit touchy about things being unhooked and not knowing why or where they go to. Thanks guys in advance for any help you can give me.

Edit: I havent taken apart the box that all the wiring and CDI and ignition wires are in yet, because im not sure if taking it apart would solve my question.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by K447; 07-12-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Corrected model and year in title

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel tank vent, or oil tank vent. One end hangs in free air.

Disconnect the battery, protect the battery top from touching the electrical box.

Then open up the electrical box. Find out where those mystery wires are connected inside.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Fuel tank vent, or oil tank vent. One end hangs in free air.

Disconnect the battery, protect the battery top from touching the electrical box.

Then open up the electrical box. Find out where those mystery wires are connected inside.
    +1

Red and black are not a combination you typically find in these skis. Be sure you are not mistaking a pink wire for red. Pink and black is for your fuel sender.

Also, check the last two digits of the Hull ID # to figure out what year ski you have. The Fuji 750 was not made after 1995.

The wires are definitely red and black. I took the gray cover off to make absolutely sure. Will the inside of the box be labeled to show where the wires go?

+1
    Yes, the circuit board will be labelled.....

Well, it doesn't matter, because i don't even have the right ski. I finally checked the registration, and its a 1996 sl780.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by biggman100 View Post
    Well, it doesn't matter, because i don't even have the right ski. I finally checked the registration, and its a 1996 sl780.
    Wiring is very similar across these models and years.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by biggman100 View Post
    The parts are so interchangeable, that the registration really doesnt mean much. You need to focus on what is in the electronics box and what is stamped on the side of the motor to determine which components you actually have.

Thread Information