Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 300LX Capsizing Concerns

New owners here of two new 2012 Kawasaki Ultra 300X, Ultra 300LX. Was out in a fresh water lake this week and and let two adult family members in their 40's take the LX out for a ride. All was well, until I noticed the ski being towed back to the dock by a pontoon boat. Apparently the ski capsized during a slow turn and they did not get it righted quick enough and hull filled with water to the point it lost buoyancy and it would not stay uprighted under power and again capsized according to family member.

Immediiately got it to shore and onto the trailer and opened the drain plugs to drain the hull, needless to say there was a lot of water in it. Drained, checked things over, let the engine air dry, checked oil no water found in engine oil. Later took it out for a quick test all seemed well.

Question is, is there anything else I should be checking here? I'm not sure how they managed to get the hull to take on so much water as the operator stated he was able to get it uprighted quickly.

I use high test premium fuel was wondering if it would be better to use non-enthanol fuel. I know in the older 2-stroke boats/motorcycles its the only way to go.
    Thanks in advance for any advice

+1
    Sore subject around here. Google "Kawasaki 300 leaning" and do some reading...

Or start with this thread:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161665

Best idea with any ski that has taken water is to run it and change oil accordingly.
    Last edited by Vman; 07-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.

+1
    Pulls spark plugs and check them also anti-sieze them. Prolly good Idea to change oil as well. And spray everything with a silicone spray. The whole engine bay. I try to run non- ethenal fuel but if I can't get it I usually prefer Sunoco gas.

+1
    Whoever Capsized it should not be riding pwc's as they don't have a lot of sense.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    Whoever Capsized it should not be riding pwc's as they don't have a lot of sense.
    Ya that too haha

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Given you already rode it, it should be fine, but check the inspection tube off the air box and see if there is any water in there. There is normally a little bit of oil, but if it's milky you've got some water in it. Take it off and clean it out.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy3 View Post
    ...Apparently the ski capsized during a slow turn and they did not get it righted quick enough and hull filled with water to the point it lost buoyancy and it would not stay uprighted under power and again capsized according to family member...I use high test premium fuel was wondering if it would be better to use non-enthanol fuel. I know in the older 2-stroke boats/motorcycles its the only way to go.
    Ultras have deep V hull. That makes ski very stable while under power in most conditions. However, it also makes ski a little tippy with 2 or more people attempting slow right turn. If driver and passenger are not aware of this, and fail to shift weight correctly at right time, then yes, it can tip. I have not seen ski roll all the way over, usually riders fall off before that point, but I can see it happening if they try and hang on too long rather than jump off. This is one of my concerns whenever someone tries my ski. Beware of slow right turn, especially with 2+ riders. I also like to make sure riders know how to get back on ski in deep water using boarding step. Its easy for one person. But, in my experience, boarding multiple 200lb+ passengers in deep water can be more tricky than some might expect. Final comment, make sure anyone borrowing ski understands the off power assisted steering. If driver suddenly releases throttle, ski will surge to assist making a turn. To the inexperienced, it may feel like throttle is stuck.

Yes, I think its best to avoid ethanol if at all possible. Especially if you tend to leave any gas in the tank longer than a week or two. Unfortunately, this ethanol is getting more and more common and hard to avoid.

New owners here of two new 2012 Kawasaki Ultra 300X, Ultra 300LX. Was out in a fresh water lake this week and and let two adult family members in their 40's take the LX out for a ride. All was well, until I noticed the ski being towed back to the dock by a pontoon boat. Apparently the ski capsized during a slow turn and they did not get it righted quick enough and hull filled with water to the point it lost buoyancy and it would not stay uprighted under power and again capsized according to family member.

Immediiately got it to shore and onto the trailer and opened the drain plugs to drain the hull, needless to say there was a lot of water in it. Drained, checked things over, let the engine air dry, checked oil no water found in engine oil. Later took it out for a quick test all seemed well.

Question is, is there anything else I should be checking here? I'm not sure how they managed to get the hull to take on so much water as the operator stated he was able to get it uprighted quickly.

I use high test premium fuel was wondering if it would be better to use non-enthanol fuel. I know in the older 2-stroke boats/motorcycles its the only way to go.
    It happens . . . when towing this particular Ski you should maintain 8 knots. Else, she rides low in the water and she can "flip". JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    This had happened to me only ONCE. I was at a boat party and two tipsy a$$holes climbed onto my jetski without permission and it flipped while I was sitting on it stationary. No water went in and I kicked their ass...

I never let more than ONE passenger on the 300X. It does lean to the left and you have to get used to carrying people. Never carry more than one. For once I ferried a big muscular friend and wow I felt like I was going to sink. So girls only please :P

My older Seadoo RXT-X is more stable while stationary tho and is easier to carry passenger on it while making sharp turns at low speed without capsizing but can't match the stability of a 300X in motion. It did take time getting used to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    ...Apparently the ski capsized during a slow turn and they did not get it righted quick enough and hull filled with water to the point it lost buoyancy and it would not stay uprighted under power and again capsized according to family member...I use high test premium fuel was wondering if it would be better to use non-enthanol fuel. I know in the older 2-stroke boats/motorcycles its the only way to go.
    Ultras have deep V hull. That makes ski very stable while under power in most conditions. However, it also makes ski a little tippy with 2 or more people attempting slow right turn. If driver and passenger are not aware of this, and fail to shift weight correctly at right time, then yes, it can tip. I have not seen ski roll all the way over, usually riders fall off before that point, but I can see it happening if they try and hang on too long rather than jump off. This is one of my concerns whenever someone tries my ski. Beware of slow right turn, especially with 2+ riders. I also like to make sure riders know how to get back on ski in deep water using boarding step. Its easy for one person. But, in my experience, boarding multiple 200lb+ passengers in deep water can be more tricky than some might expect. Final comment, make sure anyone borrowing ski understands the off power assisted steering. If driver suddenly releases throttle, ski will surge to assist making a turn. To the inexperienced, it may feel like throttle is stuck.

Yes, I think its best to avoid ethanol if at all possible. Especially if you tend to leave any gas in the tank longer than a week or two. Unfortunately, this ethanol is getting more and more common and hard to avoid.
    Off power assisted steering IMO is VERY dangerous to experienced and inexperienced drivers. Say if you are going to stop as you approach a beach and u let go of the throttle to let it drift to the optimum distance. Then u forgot and turned the steering and VROOM.. omg there are rocks and people near the beach! It throws all your calculations and projections away...

BAD...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information