Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1000 Islands recommendations

Hello all.. I'm always looking for new places to ride, never been to the 1000 islands area but am sure it'll be a good ride. I find my self saying this a lot this year, but IF weather permits, I'm hoping to go up with some friends this Sunday (14th).

If anyone has been there I would appreciate recommendations on ski friendly launches. Never been there, so any help would be appreciated!

Joiners always welcome!

+1
    Oh crap, posted in the wrong area. Admin pls move to Canada Rides. thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    We have launched out of the Ivy Lea Campground (National Park?), which is very close to the Ivy Lee a Bridge. The ramp itself is single lane and a bit narrow, but serviceable. Trailer parking is a two minute walk inland.

Another approach is to cross into the US over the bridge, then launch from the US side. That way you are legally in the US, should you happen to 'touch' US soil while riding. Take your passports in a waterproof Baggie, even if you intend to stay out of the US. And know what the procedure is should you discover that you have inadvertently 'entered' the US (phone number, etc).

Have a Marine GPS with you, as it can get confusing once you get in amongst and around some of the larger islands.

And make very sure you actually have all the required safety equipment on board, in working order.

It is an international boundary, with at least four law enforcement operations in the area. Local marine police on each side, border patrol for each side.

We might be riding that area on Sunday

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    We have launched out of the Ivy Lea Campground (National Park?), which is very close to the Ivy Lee a Bridge. The ramp itself is single lane and a bit narrow, but serviceable. Trailer parking is a two minute walk inland.

Another approach is to cross into the US over the bridge, then launch from the US side. That way you are legally in the US, should you happen to 'touch' US soil while riding. Take your passports in a waterproof Baggie, even if you intend to stay out of the US. And know what the procedure is should you discover that you have inadvertently 'entered' the US (phone number, etc).

Have a Marine GPS with you, as it can get confusing once you get in amongst and around some of the larger islands.

And make very sure you actually have all the required safety equipment on board, in working order.

It is an international boundary, with at least four law enforcement operations in the area. Local marine police on each side, border patrol for each side.

We might be riding that area on Sunday

Oh, good idea.. never thought about bringing a passport. That close I guess its inevitable that we would cross over.

Thanks for the help. If you guys decide to ride in the area send me a msg on here. For now it looks like it'll be 2 of us going, maybe a few more joiners tho

+1
    Study the marine chart for that area before you head out.

Always good to have a decent mental map of the area as you ride around. Helps avoid confusion

+1
    You can travel through American waters no problem but have to check with customs as soon as you set foot on US soil. Easy to do Alexandria bay has a photo booth check in or Boldt Castle has customs agents on the north west side of island to check in. Once you do your good for the day. Alex Bay is a nice spot for a beer.
    I have launched from Gananoque, street parking..free or pay in the lot, launch is free.

I am doing Lk Champlain up to St.Lawrence next week, just found out the US requires fire extinguishers on all vessels.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    .., just found out the US requires fire extinguishers on all vessels.
    And you don't have these already?

+1
    Why would I?
    Not a requirement here.
    kind of silly to think I'm going to remain on my ski while on fire to fish out a extinguisher from the front compartment....think I'll go for a swim instead, watch her burn and sink.

+1
    It's one of my favorites trips and i've done it number of times, since it seems that you are from oakville i suggest you start in kingston, collins bay boat lunch or kingston downtown boat launch both places are free and jetski friendly, you will be blown away with scenery, it will take you about two hours from kingston with stop and go, you can get gas and food on your way there that is accessible by water if you need more info let me know

+1
    one thing you have to be careful is not to ride too fast there are few unmarked places with rocks where it can be too late before you see em.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information