Rebuilt Carb and Replaced Fuel lines - Now fouling plugs on 03 Virage 2 banger

When I started the ski up this year it would run and when I hit the gas, I got a few seconds of acelleration and then engine would muddle for a few seconds and if you waited and gave it more throttle the process would repeat. It always started but never would run at speed for more than a couple of seconds. I thought this is probably a fuel supply issue and put in new fuel/oil pump diaphrams, gaskets, and pin in carb and replaced fuel lines, put in another inline gas filter in after the OEM one which I cleaned, and disconnectected the original fuel cock and put in an inline fuel valve after the gas filter just before carb supply. Now it fowls plugs constantly and can not start it unless it sits for a few days and will not re-start if I happen to get it started. It does run great once it gets started so the original problem had been replaced by another. I have been rotating 3 different sets of NGKBr8es plugs through it.

Any thoughts on what to do? Is there a problem with putting one of those generic fuel filters? Is there something wrong with putting in an online fuel stop valve instead of OEM one mounted high on the deck? I know just enough to be dangerous with carburerators and fuel issues and am kind of stuck.

I have also tried disabling the oil injection sytem, replaced the gas vent valves (had to go with a generic vacuum check valve since original is no longer available) and also put back the original vacuum check valve and got it to start 2x and now it just fouls the plugs as before and no closer to getting it started regularly.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    In line filters shouldn't hurt anything same as the shut off valve. Sounds like the carbs still have a problem.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on the carburetors not being right.

Use genuine Keihin carb rebuild parts.

The OEM inline Polaris fuel filter is a low restriction type. Some aftermarket fuel filters provide a higher flow resistance and can cause fuel flow issues.

I didn't think the inline stuff that I added mattered much. What area of carb rebuild should I focus on? This is only my second carb of any kind I ever took apart.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BatTheLake View Post
    ... What area of carb rebuild should I focus on?

This is only my second carb of any kind I ever took apart.
    Call John Zigler or order online. You have Keihin CDK carbs as stock on that model.

Focus on doing the rebuild carefully, and checking your work as you go. Everything should be completely clean before you reassemble. There are online guides showing the step by step process.

Check the float arm height and adjust as needed to spec.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    should be a single carb on that ski.was there any goo built up on the internal screen??might have a clogged return or a needle thats bleeding fuel thru

Thread Information