Intermittent battery/starting issue with fzr

Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with my fzr. Two weeks ago it would not start or even turn over. Tried moving the cables in case there was a bad connection and nothing happened. Charged the battery for a few hours and cleaned the terminals(it is a sealed battery I bought last August) and started up immediately. Went to use it two hours later and nothing. After moving the cables around the battery it started up immediately.

Last week same problem. Would not start, moved the cable on the battery a little and started fine.

Worked fine until Saturday. Went to start it and nothing. I took the seat off and heard the pump running and the dash said low voltage. Charged the battery for a couple of minutes and it started right up. My questions are:

1) Are the actual battery cables going bad.
    2) Could there be a problem with the battery terminals.
    3) There is alot of water in the hall (trying to find out where it is coming from). Could there be something wrong with the starter from the water?
    4) Could the water level be turning the pump on when I am not there causing the battery drain? I forgot to disconnect the battery before leaving yesterday.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Lou

+1
    Wow, mine have been so reliable in starting that I don't know what to say.
    Hmm, sealed battery, less than a year old.
    The fact that you moved the cables around and 'it started up immediately' (TWICE) should indicate the one of your cables or tightness may be the problem. Make sure they are staying tight during riding vibration, sometimes this is easier said than done. If they are staying tight, then you might want to replace them.

As for water in the hull; are you keeping this ski in the water or on a trailer? The water problem could be from your transom plate seal; their were some reports about this, see the threads below:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90258

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178819

+1
    how old is the ski? Bad cables? possibly but not knowing where or what year you ride makes it hard to guess on this? I would venture to say you have a bad connection. Have you checked the cables on both ends? You say move the cables around... are you unbolting them and moving them or just shaking the cable?

+1
    also have you run the ski on a hose to see if you get water in the hull? Have you put a few inches of water in ski and looked for leaks? I would not ride a ski that leaks water personally.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with my fzr. Two weeks ago it would not start or even turn over. Tried moving the cables in case there was a bad connection and nothing happened. Charged the battery for a few hours and cleaned the terminals(it is a sealed battery I bought last August) and started up immediately. Went to use it two hours later and nothing. After moving the cables around the battery it started up immediately.

Last week same problem. Would not start, moved the cable on the battery a little and started fine.

Worked fine until Saturday. Went to start it and nothing. I took the seat off and heard the pump running and the dash said low voltage. Charged the battery for a couple of minutes and it started right up. My questions are:

1) Are the actual battery cables going bad.
    2) Could there be a problem with the battery terminals.
    3) There is alot of water in the hall (trying to find out where it is coming from). Could there be something wrong with the starter from the water?
    4) Could the water level be turning the pump on when I am not there causing the battery drain? I forgot to disconnect the battery before leaving yesterday.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Lou
    1) Battery cables can get "worn" or corroded inside the shrink wrap tubing near the cable ends. Check there for corrosion and broken wires.
    2) The terminals on the battery can also be loose or broken.
    3) What is "a lot of water" ? Is the water up over your driveshaft ? Deeper? ,,,,less than a couple of inches ? Check your drain plugs, ride plate bolts, and transom sealing.
    4) Your bilge pump should only be on when you hit the start button and then run for a few seconds after the engine is shut off. Are you diconnecting the lanyard ?
    I had a stand alone ecu that the pump would stay on because the stop/lanyard switch was sticking on. Only does that if you have a stand alone ecu. Stock ecu it should not stay on more than about 15-20 seconds after you shut the engine off.

Thank you for the replies. I have a 09 fzr with 135 hours that is in Wisconsin. All of my waverunners are left on a jet dock and my fzr is out of the water. I dont beat on it or do any type of wavejumping.

The leak has to be looked at and I already bought new inserts since I have loosened my ride plate many times (changing props). I will take pictures next time I go up to show how much water is in the hull, maybe a quarter inch? When I look at in the water not running it goes to a certain level and stays there. When the engine is running there is still some water. When I shut the engine off the pump shuts off at its usual time and I can see that water is coming in. Like I said, the water gets to a point and stays there.

I will put the ski out in the next few weeks so I can run it on the hose to see if anything is leaking. I have driven with the seat off and there is nothing from the engine that I can see.

I have not checked the battery cables at both ends, just at the battery. They are on very tight. It is very difficult to check the other end of the cables while the ski is on the dock. I did not try taking the screws out and putting them back in. It is very difficult to follow the cables to the other end when the ski is on the jet dock so I will wait until I pull of out of the water.

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1
    Have the battery load tested. Mine did same thing and I thought it was connection. Battery had only 100 cca out of 400 cca. Replaced and all is good again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerpan View Post
    Have the battery load tested. Mine did same thing and I thought it was connection. Battery had only 100 cca out of 400 cca. Replaced and all is good again.
    Yup...it's your battery, get a new one preferably a gel-celled or AGM type are best and last a looong time.

Hello,

I was able to spend a couple of minutes looking over my ski on Sunday. First, it started with no problem. I took the back seat out and stopped in the water. I can hear, but cant see, water trickling in very slowly. Sounds like a leaky faucet. When I drive at around 4000 rpm there is alot of water that fills the back of the hull, several inches. When I do a full speed run, there is no water. I slow down to idle or stop and water starts coming in. I wont ride the ski anymore until I find the leak.

If the transom is leaking, wouldn't water be coming in when doing a full speed run? Can some of the cooling lines be leaking as well?

Lou

your leak could be coming from a number of places. If you can see it trickling, then please tell us where its coming from or make a video of it happening. Even a general area would be helpful. It could be from a hose, but it could be from the rear of the ski. A little more info and im sure someone could figure it out. Ride plate holes leak, as well as the sponsons, shoe pump and any connection in the back. Check to see if its coming from under the supercharger, i think there are two rivot looking holes in the hull underneath that can let water in, i use to have a photo of it doing just that, but i couldnt seem to find it. Dont forget to check the tow hook on the front of the ski also. There is a clamp that is right behind the exhaust system on the port side of the ski that is nearly impossible to replace with the exhaust system in, i just did a full on hose clamp replacement on my sho and must have put 20 new ones in there. It was the worst one of them all and could be leaking on yours.

I have had to replace the last 2 inches of my battery cables several times. Cut off the connector and re solder a new one on.

Thread Information