1996 seadoo bombardier

i hope I am posting on the correct discussion board, I just bought 2 jetski's and a trailer all for 700. I should have known if it's to good to be true...well... the seadoo ran beautiful or about 5 min. the previous owner had not rode them in 3-4 years. after 5 min I heard a loud clinking/grinding sound. it kinda sounded like 2 pieces of metal. it shut right off I restarted it and it sounded fine until I press gas then that sound is there again. does anyone have any ideas??? I would really appreciate it. I know nothing about motorsthank-you very much for any help

+1
    Could be alot of thing. Did noise come from motor area or jet pump? Very common for the wear rings in these older skis dry up and delaminate. Inspect impellor and wear ring. Should have black wear ring with no big chucks or pieces missing. Could also be motor? Check compression. Just a place to start.

it was definatly coming from the back of jet ski, that would be the jet pump? sorry I know nothing about this! thank-you so much
    Quote Originally Posted by SELF27 View Post
    Could be alot of thing. Did noise come from motor area or jet pump? Very common for the wear rings in these older skis dry up and delaminate. Inspect impellor and wear ring. Should have black wear ring with no big chucks or pieces missing. Could also be motor? Check compression. Just a place to start.

im so sorry, but where is the ring? im going to go check it. I connected a hose that came off yesterday on my other 1, so im learning here

Quote Originally Posted by KariAnne View Post
    im so sorry, but where is the ring? im going to go check it. I connected a hose that came off yesterday on my other 1, so im learning here
    Look at the very back where the nozzle is. Look in the nozzle with a flashlight and you will see the impeller (the prop looking thing) that impeller sits in a round ring, your wear ring.

going to look thank-you! I love this site!

Quote Originally Posted by KariAnne View Post
    going to look thank-you! I love this site!
    No problem. The impeller should nearly be touching the wear ring but not actually touching. If it is touching, thats not really right and it will be eating your wear ring up.

If there is a big gap, then pieces of it have been hacked away from your impeller. Your impeller should be sitting about 1mm or a little less away from your wear ring without touching.

A warped drive shaft could be the result of a hacked wear ring.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Could also be a pump bearing. To check that all you have to do is pop off the nose cone after you have taken off the steering nozzle and venturi.

Thread Information