Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'05 RXT won't go over 45mph

My first post here, love the site! I've been using it for information for almost a year, but now have a problem that I've not really been able to find a clear answer too. (I'm sure it's my poor search tool use).

I have an '05 RXT that won't go over 45mph. It started back in March, so I took the ski in for a service. I decided to have the supercharger rebuilt at that time (the old washer were still on the ski). The weather finally cooperated with me and I was able to get out on the water this weekend, and I've still got the same issue. Ski runs fine, but just won't get over 45mph!

I took it back to the shop this morning, and they're telling me that ski is being starved for fuel, and that I need to replace the fuel pump and regulator ($550) and that will clear up the problem. Since I just paid to have the SC rebuilt, funds are a bit tight, so I'm looking for a second opinion before I do anything.

My questions are this:

1. Can this be the cause of the problem? If not, any suggestions?

2. I've seen used pump/regs online for $200, not sure what I need. I've seen part numbers: 270600031 (I think is just fuel pump) and 270600056 (which I think is pump/reg combo). Do I need to purchase the combo? Any downside to buying this used (I'd buy from a reputable seller).

3. If this is what I need, is it fairly painless to do on my own? I'm somewhat capable with fixing things.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

J

+1
    You sure youre not using the Learner Key?

+1
    What rpms is it turning? Have you inspected impellor and wear ring?

I wouldnt spend that $550 yet.
    So it ran perfect before March, and suddenly no speed? Any vibrations or is the ski literally running perfect minus the speed issue? How many hours?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester11 View Post
    My first post here, love the site! I've been using it for information for almost a year, but now have a problem that I've not really been able to find a clear answer too. (I'm sure it's my poor search tool use).

I have an '05 RXT that won't go over 45mph. It started back in March, so I took the ski in for a service. I decided to have the supercharger rebuilt at that time (the old washer were still on the ski). The weather finally cooperated with me and I was able to get out on the water this weekend, and I've still got the same issue. Ski runs fine, but just won't get over 45mph!

I took it back to the shop this morning, and they're telling me that ski is being starved for fuel, and that I need to replace the fuel pump and regulator ($550) and that will clear up the problem. Since I just paid to have the SC rebuilt, funds are a bit tight, so I'm looking for a second opinion before I do anything.

My questions are this:

1. Can this be the cause of the problem? If not, any suggestions?

2. I've seen used pump/regs online for $200, not sure what I need. I've seen part numbers: 270600031 (I think is just fuel pump) and 270600056 (which I think is pump/reg combo). Do I need to purchase the combo? Any downside to buying this used (I'd buy from a reputable seller).

3. If this is what I need, is it fairly painless to do on my own? I'm somewhat capable with fixing things.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

J

Did they indeed check for fuel pressure??If so what did they tell you it was???IF they didnt then i would have a second opinion on the fuel pressure...IF and IF indeed thats it,you can buy a replacement fuel pump and filters from summit for around 120 bucks,and im sure if you ask somebody has an OEM regulator laying around they will sell ya cheap if not,just give ya for the price of shipping...

another question is what are your RPMs also???8100????lower??higher???this helps out alot when trying to figure things out..

Thanks for the comments! Here's the additional information you've asked for:

1. Learner's key: It looks like the standard key, no L or other indication that it's a learner key. Nothing on display to indicate either (if it would even do this)
    2. RMP's, good question. I'll take it out this weekend and find out. I'm thinking it's not 8100, more like 6k, but will confirm.
    3. Wear ring was replaced maybe 15 hours ago.
    4. Ski has 223 hours on it.

I'll post more information this weekend. I was a bit frustrated as you can imagine last weekend so I didn't gather details like I should have.

+1
    The learner key can be programed to any key.
    It doesn't have to say L.
    But I don't think that's your issue.

Sounds like you have a boost leak.
    If the charger was rebuilt correctly and its still not doing over 6k...

clutch washers gone?

+1
    you need to post your RPMs. That will narrow everything down.

10. +1 by:

Took ski out today, 6200 was the max rpm at full throttle....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information