Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

’99 Polaris X45 Strange Spark Issues

The engine will start and run perfect; however if I shut the motor off it loses spark to all three cylinders and the engine cranks over fine. The funny thing is if I momentarily disconnect the battery and reconnect it again it will fire right up and run perfect again. I can do this procedure all day long with the exact same results.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
    New battery 12.8v benched / 11.7 while cranking.
    Checked every electrical connection & fuses (both electrical boxes)
    Checked + / - battery connections
    Depressing the bilge pump button while cranking – no change
    Checked the start/stop controls and wiring – no change
    Note:
    - CDI & Stator (updated) were replaced ~40 hrs of ride time

I’m thinking it might be the Regulator – REC/Cutoff (LR31-2) located in the front electrical box. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Skooter

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is you need to do the recall where you move the red purple from the CDI to an orange terminal. This resets the CDI after every shutdown.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...57#post1188557

"Many domestic CDI have a problem internally. If they remain powered when the engine is stopped, the CDI gets confused, and thinks the engine is running when it is not actually running.

The effect is that the engine will not restart right after you shut it off. If you wait long enough, eventually the CDI times out, and then you can restart the engine.

--------------------
    The fix from Polaris was to have the CDI powered from the LR module Orange output. That is supposed to shut the CDI down completely by removing power when the engine stops.

If your LR module is defective, then the CDI doesn't power down, and the engine won't have spark when you try a warm re-start."

Banned User
    +1
    Thats exactly the issue. Unfortunately on the X45 you have to run an extra wire from the front electric box to the rear box. I had to do this on mine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Thats exactly the issue. Unfortunately on the X45 you have to run an extra wire from the front electric box to the rear box. I had to do this on mine.
    Same as the 1999 Genesis then.

Use Orange colored stranded copper wire, if you can find some.
    16 gauge AWG stranded would be ideal, 18 gauge might be OK.
    14 AWG would be plenty.

Find a way to run the wire into each electrical box without compromising the water tightness.

So where exactly do I connect the jumper wire in the CDI box? There's a single Red/Purple wire coming out of the CDI module then it splits into two wires (one going to the reset switch; the other one exits the box on the right).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X45 CDI Box.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	306470

Thanks,
    Skooter

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When you separate the Red/Purple bullet connector, do you end up with a single Red/Purple wire all by itself, which goes into the CDI module?

That is the wire end that you now want to connect to Orange. You will need to create a jumper wire that has a spade connector on one end to plug into the Orange terminal strip. On the other end you will need a bullet connector that mates with the one for the CDI.

The remaining Red/Purple wires are left unchanged. If you want to be complete tape up the now unused bullet connector where the two Red/Purple wires join together.

+1
    Last edited by loonatik; 07-12-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: got beat :)

+1
    is there anything like this I need to do on my 99 sltx b4 I ride ?

I wanted to come back to my original post and personally thank ghostinstallations, BrianP, K447 & loonatik for your help. This evening I installed the orange jumper wire from the rear electrical box to the front electrical box on my '99 X45 and it now starts/runs perfect.

K477 had some great information by clicking his signature….. It was spot on… great information!

Thanks again,
    Skooter

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skooter View Post
    I wanted to come back to my original post and personally thank ghostinstallations, BrianP, K447 & loonatik for your help. This evening I installed the orange jumper wire from the rear electrical box to the front electrical box on my '99 X45 and it now starts/runs perfect.

K477 had some great information by clicking his signature….. It was spot on… great information!

Thanks again,
    Skooter
    Good to hear. I was going to give you a call tonight but I see you got it fixed. Its a pain in the butt t run that wire from the back to the front. I installed a single pin weatherpack connector on that wire so I could still remove the rear electric box without any wires attached. If I actually had the right pins and sockets, I would have installed it in the harness with the Deutsch connector that connects the two electric boxes. There are only 5 wires in that harness and it has a 6 pin plug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information