Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How to ride in the Ocean!

After today's little jaunt in the Gulf , I was reminded of the riding style I learned in racing years ago...and I learned from a kid who was barely 16 and riding in an Ocean race off of Daytona beach Florida. He was riding standing up on a Yammy Waveraider and was hopping waves like it was motocross. His style had his body forward and used his legs like shock absorbers..the handlebars were tucked just under his "jewel" sack and it looked he would go over the bars but he did not..he won the race standing up the entire time. I copied him and I have been riding this way for probably 15+ years in the Ocean. The riders name was Dustin Farthing and he still rides that way today...and so do I.

Here's his video, watch and get the jest of what he is explaining on how to ride, it works..it just takes some practice and will keep your from arms from arm pump and shoulders from aching and keep your ski more planted when riding. The reason being..the weight that you carry with the ski when it starts to go up, will cause the ski to pop up higher and thus more pump/hull out of the water..if your legs are being used like shock absorbers and your arms are less tense allowing the ski pop up and down without yor fighting it, it will settle quicker back into the water. You can watch Dustin ,Macc and Nicholas and they "tame" the water by letting their skis do the work. Yes, their skis are locked down but what goes up must come down...if there is less weight going out of the water, the less distance it will fall down to. It's kind of science-in-jetskiing but really it was just a small kid who was not muscle bound, allow the ski to do the work for him...and he became a great champion especially in the Ocean, Dustin owns the Ocean.

Dustin Farthing on riding style:

+1
    That's the way to rip for longer periods of time.

Just nothing like having an older 2 stroke that weighs 1/2 or less than our barges we ride today...

+1
    Great advice! I have 200 hours of Gulf riding on my FZ and it is much more effective to ride standing up-until leg burn sets in. The telescoping handlebars are arguably the best feature on the FZ. They allow you to stand more upright and to better use your legs as shock absorbers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Great advice! I have 200 hours of Gulf riding on my FZ and it is much more effective to ride standing up-until leg burn sets in. The telescoping handlebars are arguably the best feature on the FZ. They allow you to stand more upright and to better use your legs as shock absorbers.
    I think some guys get used to riding on the seat all too often and this will kill your lower back if you're in the waves or chop. Use your legs...use your legs, that's for they're good for!

+1
    Hmm, stand up while riding in the chop, you say? I'll have to give that a try some time

+1
    I always ride standing up when riding (always ride at open waters) .there is no alternative...unless you want to destroy your back. Another way I use is when the chop is lighter is to seat and press my legs on the foot rest of the ski. I also "pull" the handle bars a bit while getting of a wave. Doing that, the ski lands back and I get back on my seat just a bit after landing by pulling the handlebars and not letting my body to land at the same time with the ski. It takes time to learn but it works!

I agree. Standing up in chop helps save the body. I was riding in some rough seas last week and got blasted a few times by waves coming over the front- but hey- I'm not out there to stay dry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Hmm, stand up while riding in the chop, you say? I'll have to give that a try some time
    It's actually good for your back too...my lower back takes a beating if I sit on the seat too long.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmarxt View Post
    I always ride standing up when riding (always ride at open waters) .there is no alternative...unless you want to destroy your back. Another way I use is when the chop is lighter is to seat and press my legs on the foot rest of the ski. I also "pull" the handle bars a bit while getting of a wave. Doing that, the ski lands back and I get back on my seat just a bit after landing by pulling the handlebars and not letting my body to land at the same time with the ski. It takes time to learn but it works!
    I agree...the main thing for me now is to save my lower back whilst going through the Gulf of Mexico. Ride standing up is the best way for a lot of reasons.

+1
    Apart from general excersing, do a few squats during the winter months. Strengthen as much as you can. Makes standing up and wave jumping a breeze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information