2009 RXT iS 255 and newer iBR actuator/motor problems solutions

H
    Last edited by HydroWarfare; 05-05-2014 at 09:00 AM.

+1
    Just something I've seen go wrong on the 09 I s skis is the diaphragm on the front pivot arms. I've seen it crack and allow water to enter the hull from the top deck.
    Also when u rebuild the s/c again do the washers n bearings.
    When the bearings dump its a lot of vitals wiped out.
    If the bearings were not done with the 1st s/c service then plan on rebuilding it sooner than later...

Rip on.
    That's a great machine..
    I had the 09 gtx I S and sold it @ 170 hard ASS hrs.
    It was a wave jumping fool...

Y
    Last edited by HydroWarfare; 05-05-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Similar iBR issue, but need some advise on your post.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Just something I've seen go wrong on the 09 I s skis is the diaphragm on the front pivot arms. I've seen it crack and allow water to enter the hull from the top deck.
    Also when u rebuild the s/c again do the washers n bearings.
    When the bearings dump its a lot of vitals wiped out.
    If the bearings were not done with the 1st s/c service then plan on rebuilding it sooner than later...
    My use '09 GTX is255 was winterized last year after we were done and they dry docked this, then summerized. When I picked it up from the dealer they had it sitting in the parking lot and we had a couple of really hard rains within a days time. I tow it home to detail and fix some blemmishes and a small seam tear on the seat. When I tilted the trailer back I heard water sloshing and noticed the hull had water it there. When tilted back it covered the battery so I removed the drain plugs which took well over 30 minutes to drain. My question: Is it possible to get water in there from rainfall overflow from the rubber gasket around the VTS rim or should that divert in and out without going into the hull. If it should divert then I may have an issue with the diapharm you mentioned but I'm not too sure what / where that is located. Rode this one time afterwards with no issues, then the second time my niece and brother took it and said it would not go into Nuetral or Reverse and only go about 30mph. Code showed u16a4 and it seemed to an obvious iBR problem. Left this at the marina for over a week with no reutrned calls so I went up there to get it and diagnose myself. The iBR seems to be frozen, so after a couple hours of tedious work I was able to remove it and disassmble the motor and gear housing and now it seems to be free now, so it may have overran the worm gear...not sure. The real concern was the printed circuit board had some water in there with a small amount of corrosion on some of the diodes, resistor.s, etc. Also equally odd was that a row of soldered pins holding the board underneath was bright and shiney like these were new solder joints. Anyhow I'm going to clean the PCB and reassemble but have low expectations this will work. The electric motor seems fine with no corrosion on the connectors, no blown fuses.
    In short if you or anyomne else knows if the water in the hull issue can be caused by rain, becasue if not I will be visting the Marina to ask why the drain plugs were in and not drained. Also does anyone know if the iBR can be rebuilt, and if so please give me some resources. What washer and bearing are you referring to on a rebuild of the S/C....not sure what S/C is referring to. Thanks dudes!

Reassembled unit and all is working now. Also disconnected and placed a trickle charge on the battery during the process. My real lack of experience disassembling probablly made this alot harder than it should have, but I could not find a video on the 09 gtx to show how remove this. I did see a video on youtube on diassambly of the iBR which seemed easy for him but my unit was 100x more difficult due to the silicon seal. (actually broke some of the plastic in the process but that hopefully its ok for the long haul) My initial assesment of the iBR being frozen was inaccurate because I realized the motor drove the worm gear and the rotating aluminum knob does not turn by hand. I suppose the real problem was the water in the main electronic control board that I let dry and cleaned with contract cleaner, or a slightly drained battery according to other threads. The marina dry docked this over the winter and did a winterization and summerization so water in the hull obviously shows they never removed the drain plugs and the iBR unit sat in water all winter. (Not sure how that much water got in, but it tooks well over 30 minutes to drain....not a happy camper with them and they will not touch my seadoo again.) I'm not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined so that days worth of work probally saved me $1500 because I know they would have replaced the entire iBR, plus labor.

6. +1 by:

Thread Information